▪06▪

Ryan O'Brian

"Took you long enough!" Ryan shouted from inside the kitchen. His eyes were glued to his computer screen while his fingers were mindlessly typing away at the keyboard.

I chuckle to myself. Him and his computers are like two peas in a pod. He knows his way around it, inside and out. It's something he's always had a knack for ever since he was 14. He could break it apart, clean it/fix it and then put it back together with no problem. He could also access any fire network he wanted and with the swift of his fingers, go through any firewall or back doors that might be in his way. It was second nature to him.

Back in the day, he was my hacker-my computer genius during my missions. He guided me through every mission and had my back covered like no one else I knew. He's my most trusted ally and friend in this dark world besides Matt and my sister.

"So," He slides out his seat and walks towards me. "Ready to get your ass beat?" He challenged.

I give him a small smile before walking into his living room and sinking onto the couch. "Later, please. I'm too tired." I huffed out.

"Awh, come on. You never turned down a fight even when you were tired back in the day." He stated, sitting down beside me.

"Things changed." I simply said.

"For better or for worse?" He asked with a furrow of his eyebrows.

I sighed. "Um.. better? I guess.."

"How so?" He pressed.

"Well for one, I get to sleep in.. well sometimes but I still get to wake up whenever I want." I smiled proudly.

"That's it?" He inquired.

"No," I shake my head. "I also have a life here. A normal life one.. where I have a job, real co-workers, friends and a home. And that's something I couldn't have back then." I reminded him. "I get to be normal here." I concluded.

"And what exactly is normal?" He asked calmly.

I tilt my head slightly, contemplating how to answer that question. "Normal is what these people have. They don't know about all the dangers in the world that are kept hidden in secret." I was trying to maintain a calm voice but I was fuming. "No, they live their life everyday and don't have to worry about fighting or fearing that one day the fight may be too much for them and then they just end up dead!" I concluded.

"You don't think anyone else in this world is fighting too?" He inquired with a calm voice. "Just because you don't see them fighting.. doesn't mean they aren't. There is more than one way to fight besides physically."

"Mentally and verbally. Yea, I know." I muttered.

"Then you should know that we all have our own battles that we are fighting." He continued. "Just because you see one thing on the outside, doesn't mean that it will match how they really feel on the inside. You have no idea what they're going through at home too. It could be abuse, seeing a loved one dying on their deathbed, they could be struggling to provide for their family, or worse.. losing them. Some may not even have a home to go to, but how could you know?" He questioned.

I shook my head unable to answer.

"You don't. None us do. We all wear masks whether we know it or not to hide the pain we feel inside. You don't show it because maybe you don't want people feeling sorry for you, or looking at you like you're a charity case, or maybe you're trying to protect them.. from yourself. You're probably thinking that their life must be going great so why ruin it by listing your own problems."

I sat their thinking about what he was saying, taking it all in.

"Or is it because you're scared? There are many reasons why we wear a mask, the question is.. why?" He concluded. He exhales out a breathe. "Why don't you get some rest? You look tired." He gets up off the couch and disappears into a room, a few moments later he returns with a pillow and a light blanket, setting it on the couch. "I'll wake you if anyone calls."

"Thank you." I said before lying down on the couch and resting my eyes.

Thing is though.. I couldn't sleep. Ryan's words were racing through my mind.

Why do I wear a mask?

______

I didn't give the chapter my all, so if it sucks.. I'm sorry but the next chapter will be better and longer. This was just a breeze.
And I'm so sorry for the very, very late update. I'm having writer's block😩 but I'll try to update more. Thanks for reading and voting. As always, it is much appreciated.

xoxo