▪15▪

The Castle Case

Bang. Bang. Bang. Bang.

Bullets tore through the front door sending splinters flying.

Whoosh.

Heavy footsteps march into my sister's apartment with haste as they search around the room for us. The shuffling of noises erupts loudly throughout the room, but as quick as it came, the noise stopped and the room was instantly enveloped in silence.

A man, from the group of Yakuza's that barged into the apartment, comes into view right below Matthew who's standing on top of a metal pole. My sister and I stood on the second floor hidden in the shadows.

Matt flips backwards and lands with a thud behind the man from the Yakuza. The man turns around and grins evilly at Matt before lunging towards him. Matt dodges his fist and swings back at him with a solid punch.

I look to my sister and nod. Immediately, we both run off the second floor and jump onto the first to join in on the fight.

I land with a roll and quickly get back on my feet before one of the men's fist could grace my face. An animal snarl claws it's way up my throat. "Too slow." I lunged forward, swinging at his face and miss. He grabs ahold of my arm and slams me into the wall, head first. Then he turns me over and starts burying his fists into my stomach before I could even have time to recollect. I'm left doubling over in enormous amounts of pain as I tried swallowing every ounce of discomfort down. Sucking in a sharp breath, I quickly smash my elbow into the side of his skull, the soft spot high on the temple, making him stagger back and hold the sides of his head in agony. Wasting no time, I dash toward him and throw my legs around his neck, grappling him onto the ground. I watch as blood pours over his eyes as his body began hemorrhaging in crucial pain. I grab the sides of his head and snap it like a twig, ending his suffering.

A satisfied smile graces my face as I watch his body stop shaking, blood still tearing from his eyes. Quickly, I get back on my feet and stand in between Matt and Elektra as the remaining eight of our enemies stalks up to us with their fists up and ready. Four of them split off—two going to Matt, one in front of Elektra and another in front of me. I smile at my opponent with only one thought in mind: This should be a piece of cake.

My opponent strikes first, aiming for my head but I jerk back before he could make contact and throw my arms up in defense mode. I blocked almost every attack he threw at me and when I saw an opening, I took it. I aimed for his jaw and connected, but he quickly blocks it with his forearm and snickers. I furrow my eyebrows in confusion as the first punch glanced my chin, but the second one came unnoticed. The first punch was faint, but the second punch knocked me over on my side, expelling a bit of choked air from my lungs.

My fingers lightly brush against the fresh bruise that threatened to discolor my face and I wince, a hiss escaping my mouth as I soon regretted touching that tender spot. I growled and glared up at him, noticing the grin on his face as he motioned for me to make the first move. "Come on." He bantered. I inhale deeply. You asked for it. I jump onto my feet and charge at him, slamming him into the wall just like he did to me and began burying my fists into his stomach, repeatedly.