▪20▪

Truth Be Told

"What the hell is taking him so long?" I huffed, scanning the rooftops for my vigilante friend.

"Who knows." Elektra shrugged. "He's probably forgotten all abou—"

THUD

I snap my head to my left, catching a glimpse of a man gripping Elektra by the neck.

"What the hell did you do?" He roared ferociously.

"Oh, hell no." I muttered as I quickly jumped over a vent installation and charged at the man in the suit. He turns around, baring white teeth and I immediately freeze in my spot, furrowing my eyebrows in confusion.

"M-Matthew?"

His face was livid with anger as a growl rumbled underneath his breath. Without warning, he shoves me aside and knocks me on my shoulder.

"I told you to stay out of my life. I never asked you to coerce a witness!" Matt hollered.

"W-what?" I groaned, slowly turning over on my side so I could face him. "What the.. hell.. are you talking about?" I groaned, slowly pushing myself onto my knees.

"One of you—"

"Don't blame her for something I did." Elektra interjected, swiftly catching Matt's attention. "You had a problem, so I stepped in." She hissed.

"No!" Matt thrusts her back against a chimney wall and leans into her face while gripping her neck. "It doesn't help. We can't even use his testimony because of you. It was all thrown out."

"I was only following your rules." Elektra protested.

"What rules?"

"You don't get what you want by day. You take it by force at night." She explained. "This is who you are, Matthew. And don't fool yourself into thinking it's anything else."

"What I do is none of your business. Both halves of my life are mine."

"Fine." Elektra smacks Matthew's hand away from her neck and glares at him. "I'll stay out of your boring legal shit. Now, you wanna fight me? Or you wanna fight the guys who are tearing your city apart?"

Matt silently glares between Elektra and I, lingering for a short moment before he quickly disappears down the fire escape staircase and onto the construction site at 44th and 11th.