▪05▪

Trouble in Paradise

"NOOO!!!!" A blood-curling scream erupted from my mouth as I watched my best friend tumble off the ledge. Every ounce of strength in my body vanished. I fell to my knees and collapsed onto the ground.

I couldn't move. I couldn't speak. All I could think of was Matt.

No, no, no. Not again. I started shaking my head uncontrollably. This can't be happening. This isn't happening. No, no, no. Don't do this to me. Please. Please, God. No.

Out of the corner of my eye I see movement and sharply turn my head to look at it.

Him.

My eyes lock on him like a predator targeting its prey. My breathing slowed as my eyes darkened like the shades of night. I felt it all coming back—the feeling in my legs, the pain in my back. I only had one thought in my mind as I slowly rose to my feet.

"You." I hissed with a poisonous venom. I tackle him to the ground and crawl on top of him, grabbing the front of his shirt. I aim for his nose and connected. Blood splattered on the ground. I continued bashing at his face, sending all my anger and pain into each and every punch. I raise my fist to deliver the final blow and sent it flying towards his eye. He turns his head and pushes me off of him making my fist connect with the concrete floor. In a swift move, he turns my body over and pins me on the ground.

He restrains my hands beside my head in a tight grip, making it difficult for me to get loose. I began twisting my wrists and struggling underneath his hold despite the fact that it'd only make things worst.

"Stop." He ordered. I ignore him and twisted harder. "Stop!" He shouted, bringing my arms forward then slamming it back down against the ground with a hard thud. I wince in pain, clenching my eyes shut.

Breathe, Hazel breathe. I need to focus and get to Matt.

My eyes flicker open and land on the Punisher. I find myself captured in his gaze as our eyes locked as cold as ice. We stared at each other for quite a while and during that time, I started to notice the damage I've done to his face—nose looks busted, his face wears purple and black bruises and blood drizzles down from the cuts and scrapes scattered on his face. He looked horrible but I couldn't bring myself to care.

Out of nowhere, his facial expression changes into that of a person who'd just realized something significant. His mouth became agape but nothing came out. I furrowe my eyebrows in confusion. All at once, he scrambles to his feet and runs away without looking back.