▪04▪

Hospital Crisis

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

The only sound we could hear in the room was our breathing and Grotto's heart beating. The doctors hooked him up to an EKG machine before he passed out. Karen is sitting in a chair beside his bed watching over him while I'm standing by the door, ready to defend our lives.

"Thanks for coming, I didn't want to be alone." Karen says.

"No problem. That's what friends are for." I said. She smiles and nods.

Grotto turns his head and looks at us, taking in his surroundings. Once he realizes where he's at, he begins to rip the IV out of his arm. Karen shushes him and stops him from getting out of bed.

"Okay, okay, okay... You've got multiple lacerations, Steve." She turns around, looking out the cracked door.

Grotto coughs. "Alright? The doctor said—" Grotto shuffles in the bed.

"No! No doctor." He pleads.

"The cut is deep, all right? Into the muscle, but there's no vessel damage. Nothing but a few weeks of physical therapy can't cure. You need to stay here." Karen says, holding him down.

"That ain't happening." He spat.

"We're here to help you." I said, catching his attention. He glares at me.

"By hog-tying me to a hospital with a target on my ass?" He grunts out. "You wanna wait for a bullet through the window or pull the trigger myself?" He barks, struggling to get out from underneath Karen's grip.

"You listen to me, Steve." He stops moving, hearing the name.

They both start talking at the same time, not listening to what the other person said. I lean my back against the wall, smiling in amusement.

"No, you listen to me, you daft woman!" Grotto shouts. I snap my head at Grotto and grit my teeth. Pushing myself off the wall, I walk over to his bedside and take a seat on the bed, across from Karen.

"No, you can trust me!" Karen said, trying to calm him down. Grotto sits up, scratching his head.

 Grotto sits up, scratching his head