▪14▪

It's Still Not Over

I arrive at the office and enter into the building. As I stroll down the hall, I make a left turn and find the Nelson & Murdock door up ahead. I sigh deeply before reaching for the doorknob and opening the door.

"Oh, yeah? Normal? What's that?" Matt's voice rang throughout the office.

I suppress a laugh and just smile warmly. "You know, Ryan asked me that same question a couple of days ago." I shut the door behind me and leaned against it. "I couldn't even answer it truthfully myself."

"Hazel? Wh-what are you doing here?" Matt hurries over to my side in an instant with a concerned look on his face. He places a hand on the small of my back. "I thought you were resting. You should be at home."

"I'm fine, really. I'm okay. I came into work. I know I haven't been here to help out lately, and I'm really sorry about that."

"Don't be. They understand." Matt mutters.

"Hey, you're here now and that's all that matters." Foggy said softly.

I nod my head and gave him a small smile. Matt grabs a folded chair from off the wall and opens it, setting it behind me by a table. "Here." He motions to the chair. He extends out his hand and I grip it gently as he lowers me onto the chair to sit on.

I didn't really need his help but I wasn't going to push him away from wanting to help me. He was just looking out for me. "Thank you." I voiced softly. He nods, giving my hand a gentle squeeze.

The door to the office opens and Karen walks in carrying three cups of coffee. She stops abruptly after her eyes land on Matt and I.

"Matt. Hazel. Uh, good morning." She greeted with a small smile, closing the door behind her.

"Hey, Karen." Matt greeted back.

"Morning." I wave to her.

"Did you sleep well?" She asked, looking at Matt. Her question wasn't toward me so I kept quiet and slowly pulled my hand away from Matt's.

"Uh, not so much. You?"

"Me? Yeah, sure. I mean..."

I lift an eyebrow in confusion. Why is she acting weird? I turn to look at Foggy hoping to get an answer from him but his whole attention is on the scene before us. A huge grin is smothered across his face as he nods his head softly and grins in amusement at their conversation.

I really have been missing out because now I feel lost. Are Matthew and Karen together? Did they finally confess their love for each other? What have I been missing?

"Is that coffee I can smell?" Matt asked suddenly.

"Hmm?" Karen hummed.

"Coffee?" Matt repeated.