A Rough Awakening

•Y/N: Your Name
•E/C: Eye Color

—————————————————

"There is not enough darkness in the world to put out the light of even one, small candle."

—————————————————
Author's POV:
{~Eight Months Later~}
__________________________________

Silver sat at Y/N's bedside, checking in as he always does, waiting for the day she might finally wake. Months had passed, but everyone remained hopeful. So long as she breathed, they would wait. It was no surprise that he fell out of his chair the moment she gave a loud gasp followed by a low groan as her breaths even out. The man jumps to his feet and hovers over her as her eyelids struggle to part, revealing hazy, E/C eyes. Silver thought he might cry out of joy as he smiles brightly down at her. The optics roll around like she wasn't aware of anything as feeling floods into her body, causing the woman to wince and make a multitude of indistinguishable noises.

"Shh, hey. Hey, take it easy. I'll go get you some water," he says in a comforting tone before racing to get her some. The cup shatters when he trips over his feet, spilling water all over the floor just as Shadow entered the room. He too had come for a visit.

"What the hell is going on in here?"

"Shadow! Shadow, she's up! She's finally up!" He was much too excited to worry about the broken glass, and Shadow was astonished to hear this wonderful news. He took a few moments to process the male's words before turning his ruby gaze towards the bed. Sure enough, the woman was making noise and moving a bit.

"What!? Why didn't you say anything?" Practically shoving past Silver, the dark-haired male goes to grab her another cup of water and succeeds in bringing it to her. Being very cautious, he helps Y/N to sit up, supporting her back with a gloved hand, while the other gently spills water into her mouth. After taking a few painful gulps, she begins to cough violently, causing Shadow to move the cup back. "Silver, go get the others, and tell them the news. I'll stay here with her." The white-haired man nods before executing his orders, running right out of the room as fast as he could. Once he was gone, Shadow faced Mephiles' bed-ridden victim with relief in his eyes as she tries to speak.

"D... D..." Y/N draws in a very long, deep breath before giving a wince, struggling to find her voice. Shadow tries to relax her by rubbing her back.

"Take your time." The woman groans in discomfort, continuing to breathe raggedly as she tries to muster up the strength to talk.

"D... D- Did it... w- ork?" she croaks out, feeling a bit dizzy. Shadow answers her with a tiny smile.

"Yeah. Yeah, we did it. The plan worked. We just finished rounding up the last of his followers not too long ago. You're a real hero, Y/N. We couldn't have done it without you. I'm sorry you got so hurt, though," he says softly, causing Y/N to smile weakly. After feeling her body getting heavier, he carefully lays her back down. She blinks slowly, closing her eyes for long periods of time before opening them again. A few minutes pass before visitors flood in, surrounding the bed she lies upon, all spouting words of happiness and relief.

"Oh, goodness, she really is awake!"

"Y/N, are you okay? How are you feeling?"

"You did it, Y/N! You did it!" Sonic spoke even louder than the others, ticking off Shadow, who snaps.

"All right! All right! That's enough! She just woke up. Take it easy. One at a time."

_________________________________
Your POV:
_________________________________

There is a fog clouding my brain. I can hardly see, let alone breathe properly, but I know that I'm surrounded by friends. That makes me happy. I could hear their muffled fussing and questions of concern; although, I struggled to make out complete sentences. Shadow's deep voice cut through the rest. I assume he told them all to calm down because they all spoke quieter afterwards. A blue blur invades my vision, and I could hear Sonic's voice in broken fragments with my troubled hearing.

"Do... kn... long... out?"

'What?' My brows pinch, showing my confusion.

"You... ut... eight... unths," he says while holding up a few fingers, which only looked like a white blurs to me.

'Unths? What the fuck are unths? Oh, wait! Months! He said months!' Steadily, my brain functions were returning, which is good. Very good.

'Eight months? Holy crap, eight months! I was out for eight months!' I could feel my heart race as I force myself to sit up only to fail and fall back down with a cry of pain.

'I was in a coma? I can't believe it. I know I got hurt badly, but damn! It only felt like a couple days.' Giving out a few whines, I could feel something wet spilling down my face.

'How much did I miss within that time? Shadow said we did it earlier, that we beat Mephiles. I imagine he's locked up with the others.' Though I was somewhat glad, my chest ached. He was not the same as he was, but still, Mephiles was a dear person to me. It hurt knowing that he drove me so close to death. Soft fabric touches my face, causing my eyes to roll over to look at the person on my left, who appears as a white blur. Silver, I assume. He wipes away the tears before cupping my cheek. The fabric I feel must be his glove. I lean into his touch only to wince.

"... scars... face... not gone." Though their voices are still unclear, I can tell my hearing is getting a little better.

"H- Huh?" I ask in a low, raspy voice.

"You... scars... face." Silver points at his blurry outline of a face, then it clicked.

'I must have marks all over. Makes sense. Mephiles really did a number on me from what I remember.' Again, my heart clenched as I recall the moments leading up to me being rendered unconscious.

'The moment I get better, I'm going to give that man a piece of my mind.' Groaning, I shut my eyes, but they feel too heavy to lift again.

"... enough ... out. She... eeds... rest."

'Maybe, when I wake up again, I'll be able to talk properly?' My muscles relax as I start to fall asleep, all the voices fading to silence.

I'm just glad I'm alive.