Think for yourself

Kevin POV

For the next few weeks Melissa and I have been getting to know each other very well. She also has a very good singing voice. One of the reasons for us being forced together is because of dad's debt. And the fact that my dad thought we would be good together.

We both came to terms that I already had a mate and she would find her's soon so we both went along with it for the time being. I was getting use to becoming a complete pushover. One thing that really bugged me about Melissa was that she kept asking for jewelry and new clothes. She totally didn't need it but I wanted to make her happy and if material things did that then so be it.

At the moment though we were invited to a birthday party to Elder Kenan's grandson who would be turning 10.  We were also celebrating that he had found his mate. The weird part is that his mate is 15. Strange huh? Anyway we were almost ready. There was no dress code so I just picked out a pair of dark blue shorts, a plain white button up shirt, and a pair white Jordans. It was pretty warm outside. Even though it was the middle of October.

It started at 8:30 and it was only 7:05 so we had time. Melissa was still working on her make up and I felt hungry so I went downstairs to the kitchen. I decided on a bowl of cereal. I got out a bowl, spoon, and the milk. I was trying to decide between frosted flake, trix, or cinnamon toast crunch when I heard my mom crying softly. I was going to go ask what was wrong when I heard my dad speak.

"I'm sorry but this is what's best for the pack and for Kevin. He needs to be mated to his own kind. We need the bloodline to stay pure and you know this. I've talked to Johnson. He agreed to try and convince the rest of the members of the Elite to go through with the force bonding ritual."

"Have you forgotten that her father is on the High Council and could order you dead if it so pleases him?! Not to mention that her grandfather is in the Elite as well and Johnson owes him many debts for saving his life and many of his family members."

My dad stayed quiet and decided to let mom have her say.

"You have no idea how much respect you have lost from me. I should have listened to my parents. You are really no good for me and you don't even care about your own son. You have no idea how much he's hurting. He may put on a brave face and smile but he's not happy and neither am I."

Dad stayed quiet and mom continued.

"I thought I was making the right choice accepting but now I know it was a foolish mistake and I prayed to the Gods that you would change. But after seeing you forced Kevin to reject Merit and the way you greedily took his offer I felt pity for you."

She laughed but it wasn't real.

"I want a divorce. I'll also be taking Kevin with me."

Dad growled. "You can't do that. You're my mate. Besides that the neither of the Councils will go for it."

That's when I decided to make my appearance. I leaned against the living room wall.

"So you're getting divorced, huh?"

My mom didn't look suprised to me while dad's face looked shock and his eyes held anger. "Yes, we are."

"I'll be living with you then." 

She nodded and gave both of them a neutral look. I was glad that I inheirted my mom's ability to mask my feeligns and put on the right face for any occasion. With her being the daughter of an Alpha there was things she learned. The first was to mask her feelings and hide her emotions. Both of my brothers and I got that from her.

Melissa came down stairs and looked really beautiful. She wore a black sequin top, a black mini skirt, and black boots. She also wore a black leather jacket. My dad raised an eyebrow but didn't speak. My mom however didn't mind having her say.

"Are you sure that's what you want to wear to an Elder's party? His grandson's party at that."

Melissa didn't speak and you could tell that her confidence in her style was wavering. She mumbled something about changing but my mom stopped her.

"It matters not. We should be going. It's already 7:55 and I don't want to be late. You both go get the presents and your father and I will meet you in the car."

Melissa and I got the presents and while I was locking the front door I felt the familiar numbness in my chest. I stood for a minute thinking about what my mother said to my father.

You forced Kevin to reject Merit. Then Adrian's words entered my head. Try to ignore your father's orders.