Chapter 12

Chapter 12

I wasn't sure what made Sophia change her mind and agree to do the interview. Maybe she planned on further destroying my reputation. Maybe she decided the exposure would be good for her career. Or maybe she just had nothing better to do and decided to go for the hell of it. Whatever her reasoning was, I was sure I was about to find out – on national television, not in private. In private apparently wasn't Sophia's thing.

Some of the set workers had placed us at the edge of the set's entrance a few minutes ago. All that was left to do was wait for our signal to enter and join Renee Brown.

"I think you're supposed to go in first," I whispered to Sophia. "You should stand in front of me."

"No, you're supposed to go in first," Sophia corrected in a whisper.

"No, they specifically said –"

"No, they didn't, they –"

"Would you let me finish a sentence?" I snapped.

I sighed. We were supposed to appear on Renee Brown at any second now and things were already going downhill with us. I had hoped today would go more smoothly than this considering how well the pre-interview had gone. Well, alright, "well" was probably an overstatement, but we had kept the bickering to a minimum. Nothing like this.

"I hate it when you do that," I said after a moment. "Why are you so rude to me?"

"Why are you so ugly?"

Real mature, Sophia. "Why do you keep saying that? I'm not even ugly."

There was no way she actually thought I was ugly. I mean, seriously. I was pretty sure no one on this planet could say I was ugly and actually mean it. I wasn't proud of it exactly, but I couldn't deny that my looks had played an instrumental role in getting me to where I was that day.

"Because it's true," Sophia said. "Do you need me to say it differently?"

"No."

Of course, my response wasn't even necessary because she completely ignored me and kept talking, anyway. Why did I even bother responding when she was just going to do whatever the fuck she wanted anyway?

"Here," she said. "If ugliness were a crime... you'd definitely get the death penalty."

"You can't honestly believe I'm ugly," I said. When I realized my voice had come out a little louder than intended, I lowered my voice. "I mean, look at me." I gestured towards myself because let's be honest, that was all I really needed to do to prove my point.

She still didn't appear to be too impressed. She stared at me with a blank expression on her face for a few seconds before her face lit up and she exclaimed, "Oh, my god!"

"What now?" I sighed.

"I get it now, Christian. I understand what people mean when they say you're dark and handsome."

I couldn't help the smug smirk that crossed my face. They always gave in. Even the ones who liked to play hard to get couldn't help but cave and admit they were attracted to me. "I knew you would eventually."

"They mean that when it's dark, you're handsome!"

I dropped the smug smirk pretty quickly after she said that. "I hate you."

This time, it was her that had a smug little smirk on her face. Was I that annoying when I smirked like that? Because it wasn't endearing on her at all.