Chapter 36

A/N: I'm sorry this has taken waaaay longer than it should have, but I'm currently working overnights as a news producer and it has taken quite the toll on my living schedule/energy. But the good news: there's only two more parts for me to write/post, so this will soon be marked completed! Thanks for all of your patience, and I hope you enjoy!

***

Chapter 36

I don't know how long we stood there like that, holding on to each other as if our lives depended on it. I was pretty sure Sophia started sniffling at one point like she was crying or trying not to cry, but I was too scared to move and check. I didn't want to ruin the moment by giving her a chance to rethink her instinctive need to reach out to me when she saw me.

Instead, I ran a hand through her hair and placed my chin on top of her head in a way I hoped was comforting if she was still upset. "Your hair's wet," I said.

"That's what happens when you take a shower."

I suppressed the impulse to roll my eyes. Leave it to her to end our nice moment with sarcasm. But to be honest, I expected - and wanted - nothing less from her. "Are you trying to tell me I need to take one?"

She laughed and shook her head, finally letting go of me, much to my dismay. "No. Do you want to come inside?"

My spirits shot back up when I realized she'd stepped back to let me inside. "I think this is the first time you've asked me that question," I said with a grin.

"I think this is the first time you've given me the chance to ask that question."

I would've retaliated with something witty - or attempted to retaliate with something witty, anyway - if it weren't for the fact that that was likely true.

She took a few steps back, giving me room to walk in. She shut the door behind us, nervously twiddling with her thumbs. I'd never been a "guest" in her apartment before - at least not one who had been invited.

I didn't know how to ease the tension, so I did the only thing that came to mind. I made myself right at home. I headed straight to the fridge, suddenly realizing I was thirsty and starving, but also realizing I was too nervous to eat at that moment and a drink would have to do for the time being. I grabbed a can of Pepsi and drank it all in one go, crushing the can with my hand when I was done. I threw it towards the garbage, praying to God I landed it in the can so she wouldn't judge me, and thanking him when I did.

When I looked over at her, she was staring at me like I'd done something weird. "Did you want one or something?" I asked.

Pressing her lips together, she said, "Nope."

I shrugged and walked back into the living room, surveying it as curiously as I had the last time I was here. I think I had called it cozy or homey before, and it was. But maybe that was just because it was Sophia's apartment, and she was starting to feel like home to me.

I stopped to look at the pictures she and Tori had hanging in the living room. I hadn't noticed them before. If I had, I would've realized I'd made it onto their wall of fame. To my surprise, Tori had framed the picture I took with her and Blake. I guess she hadn't destroyed it in a fit of rage when she was mad at me. I couldn't help but let out a chuckle.

"What happened over there?" Sophia asked, breaking my train of thought.

I glanced back at her. "My flight got delayed by a few hours because of the weather. There was a power outage since it was pretty bad, but that was it. The airplane didn't have Wi-Fi, either, so I didn't realize the story had gotten so twisted until I was already home. I guess that's just the price of fame."