Chapter 16

Chapter 16

I sat there frozen. I know I should have said something. I should have said it wasn't true. But I didn't want to go back out there. Frank had fed the beast, and if I went out there after that, I would have been devoured. So instead, I pussied out and sat there listening to Frank spout his bullshit. 

The volume of the voices outside reached an all-time high as their excitement grew. Before Frank said something, this was just another boring "look where this celebrity went today!" story. Now, thanks to Frank, it was an actual story.

"So he and Sophia are involved?" a particularly loud voice asked.

I could hear the smugness in Frank's voice when he replied. I wondered how I hadn't punched the guy in the face by now. Did I ever sound like this? Why had no one punched me in the face by now? "Well, they didn't want anyone to know, but I guess the truth always comes out somehow. Yes, they do have a thing going on."

This was bad. This was really bad. But what was I supposed to do, anyway? Even if I said he was lying, it'd reflect badly on me because I was the guy with the shitty, lying manager. I mean, I was, but I didn't want everyone to know that.

"How long has this been going on?"

"Are they exclusive yet?"

"What about Cassie Lovett?"

"This is very new and they haven't put a label on it yet," Frank said. "They're just taking it slow for now and getting to know each other. An insider said it themselves. The sparks were undeniable."

Taking it slow? Getting to know each other? Unless accidentally walking in on me jerking off counted as getting to know each other, he couldn't have been more wrong.

Frank had apparently said everything he wanted to say because not a moment later, he was making his way into the limo and instructing the driver to get going.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" I asked once we'd pulled out of the parking lot without hitting anyone. At least, I don't think we hit anyone. "What the fuck was that?"

"That was me giving the public what they want because you and Sophia didn't have the balls to," Frank said. His calm demeanor threw me off even more. "Just go with it. You can 'break up' after the movie premieres."

"We both told you we weren't cool with this, Frank. What the fuck is wrong with you?"

"I'm your manager. Believe me when I say everything I do is for your benefit. Trust me on this one, Chris. I haven't led you astray yet."

"This is unbelievable." While it was true that Frank hadn't screwed me over yet, there was a first for everything.

The ride to Frank's place was completely silent after I'd finished yelling at him. He only spoke when he was getting out of the limo. "I'll be over later to discuss the meeting and the situation with Sophia so we can decide how to move forward."

I exhaled loudly through my nose. I didn't even know what to say at this point. I guess that was why he wasn't coming over right now. "Yeah, alright."

He nodded and slammed the door shut. With that, I was off again. I stared at my phone the entire way to my place, just waiting for it to ring. I knew Sophia would call and try to pin it on me as soon as news got out.

Just as I'd expected, a call from Sophia came not long after I got home.

I was on the defensive the second I answered that call. I already knew what was coming. "Before you start yelling at me, hear me out."

"Did you do this?"

Her voice was so loud I actually had to hold the phone away from my ear. "Ow. Of course not. Why the hell would I do this?"