Chapter 9

"What do you think?" Kody shows me a black mini skirt.

"Ummmm. It's nice, but..." I trail off, avoiding eye contact. Kody scoffs and turns back to the clothing rack.

"Well, what do you like to wear?" She ask agitated. "This?" She holds up a bright green t-shirt. "See, it matches your hair." She teases.

"Ha, ha." I grumble.

"Come on, take a joke." She says.

I cringe as the words leave her mouth. That statement sounds like something my dad would say. Coming from someone else's mouth it's just weird. It makes me feel uneasy.

"You ok?" Kody ask, noticing my weird expression. I nod.

"Can we just go meet the boys?" I say.

"Sure." She nods.

She sets down the shirt, and we walk out. Silently, we walk to another store that I don't bother to learn the name of. We walk around for a minute, searching for the boys. Finally I spot Jason. He's checking out a pair of jeans. He's so focused, and he looks so cute. What am I saying? Don't get attached.

"There's Jason." I point out.

"I see Dick and Tim. Now, where's Damian?" Kody continues searching for Damian, and I just stand there.

"There he is, by the jackets." Kody informs. "I'll grab the boys, you wait here." With that she walks off to collect the boys. While Kody is gone I look around, taking in the store.

"Hey." Tim walks up to me, followed by everyone else. I smile at him.

"How about we head to the store next door." Jason suggest.

We nod in agreement and head next door. This store is a little bigger than the one we just left. I realize it is because this store sells both men's and women's clothes.

"I'll be over there looking at t-shirts if you need me." Dick says and walks away. Damian follows close behind him.

"I'm going to go look at the jeans." Kody says and heads in that direction.

"We'll be looking at jackets." Jason and Tim walk off in the opposite direction.

With everyone off in different sections, looking at different things, I am left at the front of the shop alone. I watch them, this sweet and caring family. They're each different and have potential, unlike me.

I sigh. "They're better off without me. I should go." I whisper. But the thing is, I don't know if I can.

As many times as I told myself not to get attached, I think I did. That makes it so much harder to leave. 'Just go.' I command myself. I take a deep breathe and turn to leave.

I start out walking but realize running would be better, so I start sprinting. I sprint right out the mall and don't stop until I get home.

I stop right in front of the house, so I can compose myself. I quickly fix my hair, straighten my blazer, and wipe away the tears that fell while I was running. Finally, I open the door. I walk quietly through the hall, hoping Aunt Kathleen won't notice me. I'm almost to the stairs, when, she calls me.

"Lucy, honey, is that you?" She ask from her office.

"Ummmm...yep i-it's m-m-me." My voice shakes badly, telling anyone who is listening carefully that I've been crying.

"Welcome back, sweetheart." She says. "Oh, I was thinking that for dinner we could order pizza. How does that sound?" She suggest.

"Yeah, that's...g-great." I answer. Then, before she can ask anymore questions, I take off up the stairs.

I run all the way to my room. Once I'm inside, I close the door and collapse on my bed, tears streaming down my face. I really will miss that family but it's better this way. I just can't believe I got attached.

My phone buzzes, and I look down to see a text from Jason.

'Where'd you go, we're worried'

That just causes more tears to flow. Jason is worried.

I don't respond. Just put my phone away. No matter how much I liked him, I have to remind myself it's for the better.

For the better

------
Awwwww sad chapter😢

Anyway, important announcement‼️‼️ As you guys know I posted a A/N talking about a new book. I am here to tell you guys that I have to decided to put off the making of this new book. I will put all my effort and time into this book. YAY!!! Which means that I should have a good updating schedule, and you guys don't have to worry about sharing my attention with the other book.

So until next chapter