Chapter 26

My eyes drift open slowly to reveal my room. I turn over to find the other side of bed slightly ruffled. I sit up and rub my eyes, letting them adjust to the light. I look around my room, confused at how I got here. The last thing I remember was falling asleep on the couch with Jason. Then it hits me, Jason brought me up here. The sheets are ruffled because he must have slept with me last night. I smile at the thought of him carrying me up the stairs, placing my delicately in the bed, then cuddling with me until he feel asleep.

I extend my arms, stretching them and get up from the bed. I slide my feet into my purple slippers, throw on a sweatshirt, and head downstairs.

As soon as I step off the final step, a sweet aroma fills my nose. I follow the scent into the kitchen and see Jason standing over the stove holding a pan.

I smile and tip-toe up to him. I wrap my arms around his torso, leaning my head in between his shoulder blades.

"Good morning." Jason says, his attention still on the stove.

"Good morning, what are you making?" I mumble into Jason's back.

"Breakfast, obviously." He says sarcastically.

"No, really." I reply just as sarcastically. "What are you making for breakfast?" I rephrase the question.

"Pancakes, bacon, eggs..." He says. "Now, go sit and let me finish."

I separate from Jason and head into the family room. Mark sits on the couch, scrolling through something on his tablet and sipping coffee.

"Good morning." I greet.

Mark stays silent, not even making eye contact. I sigh and sit down. I grab a magazine off the coffee table and begin flipping through it. Mark and I sit in silence for about five minutes before he starts talking.

"I wasn't aware that your "boyfriend" could cook." He says. He still avoids eye contact, but the tone of his voice is all I need to know that this conversation will not end well.

"What do you mean "boyfriend." I narrow my eyes at him.

"What I mean," Mark sits up and sets down his tablet and coffee mug, "Is that, it's obvious that boy in there doesn't love you. He's using you. He's a billionaire who could have anyone. Why in the world would he choose you? He's probably using you as a publicity prop. As soon as he has what he wants, he'll dump you like week old trash. You mean nothing to him."

Every word Mark utters sends a piercing pain through me. I can feel the sting of tears dotting my eyes. Mark smirks and slides back into his slouched position with his tablet and coffee in hand. I throw the magazine I was reading back on the table and rush into the kitchen. I run straight to Jason, nearly tackling him to the ground.

"You l-love me, r-right?" My voice quivers slightly.

"Of course." Jason sets down the pan he was holding and wraps his arms around me. "Why do you ask?"

"No reason." I breath into his chest.

Part of me wonders if he is lying to me, telling me he loves me and getting my hopes only to watch them crash later.

Jason pulls back and holds me at arms length. His crystal blue orbs search mine. His expression tight with worry. I stare back at him, my eyes reflecting fright. After a moment, Jason lurches forward and pushes his lips to mine.

I sigh as he kisses my lightly. This kiss wipes all the words and worries from my head, replacing them with warm feeling. Jason pulls away and leans his forehead against mine.

"I love you." He repeats gently. "Don't ever forget that.

"Ok, I love you, too." I smile.

Jason nods, then turns back to breakfast. I jump up on the counter and sit there instead of in the family room.