Chapter 42

"We'll go in before you do, so he knows that this is a serious matter." Aunt Sel says as she prepares us to go inside my father's holding room.

"Selina, have you met the guy. He's an insane clown. He takes nothing seriously. Everything is a joke to him." Aunt Ivy points out while working her voice to be cold and intimidating.

Aunt Selina sighs but nods her head as she agrees with Aunt Ivy. She backs away from me and goes to toad in front of the door, fixing her face into a rock hard, blank expression as she does.

"Alright, Kitty," Aunt Ivy sets a hand on her hip and pushes her lips into pout. "Let's do this."

Bruce pushes open the door and my aunts walk in to the room, their steps taken in unison. The clicking of their heels echoes all around until they come to halt. Both the large room and hallway are drenched in quiet, awaiting someone, anyone, to make the first move.

I bite my lip as I peer around the door frame, trying to get a peak to satisfy the anticipation inside of me. I just need one look at him, one look at my father in his watered down look. I need one glance of him without his henchmen or flanked by various guards. I need to see him in a moment where he is completely still, almost at a state of peace.

He sits in the middle of his cell with his head lowered. His lanky frame is dressed in the orange Arkham pants and a straight jacket. His feet are bare, and his bright green hair is slicked back in its signature style.

"Joker." I duck back into the hall as Aunt Ivy spits his name.

"No, I'm sorry, I'm not taking guest today." He replies, the humorous tone more than evident.

"Joker." Aunt Selina's tone is sharper than a blade.

There's a moment of silence, followed by a deep chuckle. "Well, well, well, look at what the kitty dragged in." His words are laced in amusement.

"Listen up, Clown, we're not here for jokes." Aunt Ivy utters her next words lowly.

"Then, my darlings, I'm afraid you've come to the wrong place." My father replies smoothly. His remark is followed by silence, which I know is making him even more tickled. "What? Cat got you tongue." His infectious wheeze sounds right after the words are uttered.

"Look here ." Aunt Selina commands as her high heel hits the ground. "We know you don't like us, and we sure as hell don't like you, but we have a secret to tell you. So, either you shut up and listen for once, or we walk out, taking our piece of information with us."

"Now, hold on a minute. Who said anything about me not liking you." Joker responds.

"Joker, so help me." Aunt Ivy threatens, and I can tell it's through barred teeth.

"Ok, ok. I'm listening. You have my full attention." He agrees.

I turn to Jason as the words come and begin frantically grabbing for his hand. He turns to me as soon as he feels my skin on his. I press myself to him, and he wraps an arm around me. It's not until now that I notice I'm shaking. I press closer in attempt to stop myself from running down the hall.

"I'm scared, Jay, really scared." I say in a rushed voice.

"I know. I'm scared, too." He replies distantly.

"We don't have to do this. You don't have to do this. You can always stay out here."

"No, no, I'm going in. I want to be there for you, and I want him to see me."

"Ok."

"Come on in." I hear Aunt Sel call.

My grip tightens on Jason's hand, then it falters, and I end up letting his hand go all together. I push him towards the back of the crowd, then begin pushing my way to the front and through the door.