Chapter 60

"I don't want it to end." I mumble the words quietly into Jason's chest.

He gives a satisfied sigh and runs his fingers up and down my spine, sending a light shutter through me. He continues to rock back and forth as the final song envelops us and the rest of the tired party-goers.

"I know, a day like this seems like it should last forever." He hums. "But just think, in a matter of hours it will be just you, me, and the beautiful coast of the Fiji islands for three whole weeks."

I smile as the image of Jason and I strolling the beach enters my head. Our hands joined tightly as our feet sink into the warm sand. Water pooling at our ankles as we wade softly into the moonlight water. I can imagine the silence that will surrounded us as we hold each other in a warm embrace, watching the sun set behind the crystal blue water. The rays illuminating Jason's face as he stares lovingly down at me. Warmth spreads through me as the images flash through my mind.

Jason and I sway lightly back and forth, holding each other tightly, refusing to let go of one another. Everything in me is bursting with the hope and excitement associated with my new life. My heart skips a beat as I realize that these the arms that are currently holding me are the ones that will be holding me for the rest of my life. They will support me when I feel weak, pick me up when I fall, and love me when I feel alone. My smile broadens, and I bite my lip as I remember that every step I take will be taken with Jason right beside me. Whatever path I choose will be the same one he chooses. I know that Jason and I will make most of our future choices together, but I also know that when we are forced to make independent choices, we will have have support from one another. 

"I love you." I smile, adjusting my head so that my chin is propped up against Jason's chest. Jason looks down at me, chuckling slightly at my love-struck expression.

"I love you, too, beautiful." He pecks my forehead, then rest his own forehead against mine. "How did I get so lucky?"

I giggle before reaching up to place a light kiss on Jason's nose. "I think it's because you were in the right alley at the right time."

Jason lets out another laugh before hoisting me into the air, causing a light shriek to come out of my mouth, followed by a series of giggles. Jason spins me in a circle, then leans up to attach our lips. I kiss back instantly, smiling into the kiss. As Jason pulls away, I give a fake pout as my lips now feel alone and want desperately to be reconnected with his.

"Just wait." He whispers, placing me back on the ground. I nod.

"Sorry to interrupt," Dina's voice intrudes, forcing Jason and I to turn our attention to her, "It's time for you two to go get changed. The limo is already outside.

It's then that I notice all the guest heading for the exit of the ballroom, some stopping to meet up with friends or to say goodbye to one another before disappearing through the door's threshold. I turn back to Dina, taking her extended him, pressing a kiss to Jason's cheek, then following her to a dressing room.

"That looked cozy." She comments as we walk hand-in-hand down the hallway. "I can see it now. A cute raven-haired baby with wide, sky blue eyes and a cute button nose. The baby would have your smile but Jason's attitude and ambition." She continues, dreamily.

I giggle at my best friend's fantasy, but part of me also runs cold at the thought of children. Just months ago, I had never even considered children, but it seems that at some point they will become an expectation. I know Jason is slightly afraid of becoming a father, but I also know that part of him wants that opportunity. He wants the chance to give a child something he didn't have. He wants to bring someone into the world, someone with the possibility of being better than him.