Chapter 54

Back to Lucy's POV

"Now, that is beautiful." The consultant sighs as I brush out the skirt of an overly poofy wedding dress.

"You don't think that it could be a little too big?" I huff, feeling swallowed by miles of cream fabric.

"Of course not, of course not." The consultant waves me off. "You are marrying Gotham Royalty, love, You have to look elegant, regal, beautiful. You need to look like the princess you are becoming."

I let out another tired huff as I pull at the itchy, lace sleeves. Rolling my eyes, I give in and turn to the mirror, slightly eager to see how I look. I sigh in both disappointment and relief as I meet my reflection and come to the quick conclusion that this is not the dress for me.

"Why don't we go show your sisters? I'm sure they'll love this one." The consultant ask, and before I have a chance to answer, I'm am being whisked out of my dressing room and down the hall towards my bridal party.

I stumble clumsily after the black clad woman, trying hard not to rip the dress under my rushed footsteps and not fall face first into the deep, lush carpet. Every step I take is a fight with the dress, and the only reason I'm smiling is because I know I won't be walking down the aisle in it.

We enter the main showing room of the dress shop and instantly all eyes turn to me. Every face starts with a bright smile, but instantly the faces change to those of confusion or disgust.

"What do we think?" The consult ask, placing me on the pedestal in front of the mirror and everyone else. She fluffs out the bottom of the dress, making it bigger than it already is.

"It's...wow." Dina answers, hesitantly. Her eyes wide and lips pulled in a tight line as she looks me up and down.

"I mean, it's..." Barbara trails off, at a loss for words.

"Lucy, what do you think?" Kat ask, pulling my opinion into the conversation so that she can avoid speaking.

"Oh, um, I mean, it's not the worst dress we've seen." I reply, quietly, turning to see the back of the dress and immediately regretting the decision. I cringe at the sheer back that is overrun with lace.

"She's right. We've seen...what...forty other dresses. This one if definitely one of the better ones." Cass comments as she takes a sip of champagne.

Suddenly the weight of this whole situation seems to crush me. It's at this moment that the severity of finding the perfect dress hits me. And if I'm already at dress number 41 maybe that means I'll never find the perfect dress. The thought makes me want to burst into tears.

Aunt Selina and Aunt Ivy seem to notice my sudden mood change as they both move to sit at attention. Aunt Sel leans over and whispers quickly into Aunt Ivy's ear. Both women seem to come to some kind of agreement, and instantly put their plan into action.

"Marilyn, sweetie," Aunt Ivy smiles as she stands and makes her way towards the consultant, "Why don't you show me where the veils are. Maybe Lucy would feel more comfortable in the dress if she was all dolled up. She needs the real affect."

Marilyn's already gigantic smile grows as she nods furiously and begins to pull Aunt Ivy down a side hallway, babbling on about the wide arrangement of custom veils available. Aunt Selina waits until she is sure they won't return before walking over to me and placing a gentle hand on my shoulder.

"Come with me." She whispers, pulling my hand into her's and helping me make the walk back to my dressing room.

"Sit, and tell me what's wrong." Aunt Sel commands, pushing down into a chair and shutting the door.