9| Unsympathetic

^RUBY^

"UH, ETHAN? WHERE'S Gemma?" I cautiously turned around just as I heard Ethan close the front door behind us.

"I think her and Tom are passed out in one of the bedrooms. Maybe you'd want to stay the night? I don't think Gemma is waking up anytime soon, not judging by what Tom told me, how she was extremely drunk." That was true, and he was slowly building my trust with every word he said.

"How're you feeling now?" He asked, collapsing on the white leather couch. He tapped next to him, signalling for me to sit down. I did so, but left a large gap in between us. He scooted closer to me, and rested his arm lazily across my shoulders.

"Still shit." I answered, staring at the black glass coffee table.

It fell silent between us after that, the only sound coming from the gold and brown clock on the wall, ticking away. I glanced at it to check the time. It read two a.m.

I felt extremely fatigued, but every time I would nearly drift off I would force myself to wake up again. However, at one point, I woke up to find myself alone on the couch. I immediately looked at the clock again, and this time it read fifteen to three. I heard the shower running, giving me a rush of adrenaline as I was free to do whatever I wanted.

The first thing I did was check every room of the single storey house, besides the bathroom. Each one I checked was empty, which made my heart pound harder each time. I told myself that they might be in another part of the house that I am not aware of, just to ease my heart rate and stop me from having what felt like a heart attack.

The second thing I did was grab my phone from my bra. The screen was damp from my sweat which made me unable to use it straight away. I hastily wiped it across my skirt before unlocking it to call Gemma. She did not answer, so I called again. I constantly glanced over my shoulder, watching the door to the bathroom and listening for the shower to shut off.

As soon as I heard the call connect, I spoke. "Gemma? Where are you? I need help." I said quietly, my voice shaking.

"What do you mean? Where are you?" I realized that it wasn't Gemma. It was Ruby.

"Ruby?" I whimpered. "Where's Gemma?"

"She's passed out next to me, I had to take her home and was just about to go back to the club to get you. What do you mean you need help? Where are you?"

My blood ran cold. Gemma wasn't here. She never was. In fact, I don't even think that Ethan had a friend named Tom. How could I have been so stupid to fall for it? It must of been the drink, as I was usually smarter than that.

"I think my drink was spiked, I don't know where I am exactly, but I'm at this guy's house and he's in the shower right now." I whispered, tears forming in my eyes.

"Fuck. Alright, here's what you need to do. Get out of there, I don't care if you climb a fucking window to get out, just get out of that house right now." Ruby sounded frantic, but it helped calm me down a bit knowing that she knew the story incase I didn't make it out alive.

I got off the couch and ran over to the front door. My heels were alarmingly loud against the floorboards, so I hastily pulled them off to leave myself barefoot.

I decided to leave him behind, thinking that if I did then Ethan would think I was still in the house somewhere, giving me more time to escape.

At first the doorknob would not budge, but then I realized that I needed to unlock it by flicking the switch to the side. Once it was open, I lost my cool and raced out of the house, the front door slamming shut again. There is no doubt in my mind that I alerted Ethan by doing that.