15| True Colors

I APPROACHED RUBY in full speed until I heard her knuckles tap against the door, then I dived behind a bush instead. I landed hard on my bum but that was the least of my worries right now. Ruby heard and immediately looked over at me, smirking. 

I begged with my eyes and shook my head repeatedly, gesturing for her to come back. She looked forward again just as the door opened and I felt my soul leave my body.

"What do you want? I don't want to buy anything, I have work in an hour." Ethan said, wearing a blue dress shirt that was only halfway up his body, revealing his chiseled abs.

Seeing his face again brought back so many memories that I could not remember before.

Ruby put on her best friendly smile and tilted her head. "Hi, are you Ethan?"

Ethan raised his dark eyebrows at her. "Yes, who are you?"

I was expecting more dialogue between them but instead, Ruby swiftly pulled out her gun from her pants and pressed the tip against the middle of Ethan's chest.

A shriek escaped his lips as he waddled backwards into his home, Ruby following closely.

I could not believe that this was actually happening as I ran towards the house, pushing through the front door just before it could shut completely.

"Ruby, stop!" I yelled as soon as I entered, my eyes searching for whereabouts they were.

I saw them on the couch, Ethan holding his hands up to try and block the gun, and Ruby hovering over him intimidatingly. It was not only a horrifying sight but it was also strange, seeing as Ethan was twice the size of Ruby yet he looked absolutely so vulnerable and petrified.

His blue eyes caught mine and I saw the blood drain from his face.

"I have a few questions for you, and all I need are answers and then we will be on our way, okay?" Ruby said in a dehumanising way, lifting the gun up to rest underneath Ethan's chin.

I felt sick to my stomach watching this unfold, and had to swallow away the urge to puke. If Ruby ended up shooting this guy, both our lives would be ruined. Not only that, but I would never be able to get the image of Ethan's bloody corpse out of my head.

I felt tears swell up in my eyes and I stepped forward. "Ruby, this isn't right-"

"What he does to women isn't right." Ruby said with a serious tone, except she smiled a little just to show to Ethan that she knew all about his actions.

"W-Wha-"

"Don't deny it. I swear to God, if you do..." Ruby cocked the gun, the sound that I had only heard in films echoing through the house. I let out a little scream at the same time as Ethan.

This was Ruby. The woman that I had been living with, the one that I have been talking to. I had been treating her less than nice, never realizing that she was in fact a dangerous person.

"You remember Ellis, don't you?" She held the top of Ethan's head and forced him to look towards me. Ruby pressed her cheek against Ethan's as they both stared at me. The smile on Ruby's face told me that she was enjoying this torture.

I, on the other hand, did not care what Ethan did to me. I hated seeing anyone as scared as he was, his bright eyes becoming red with tears.

"Did you spike her drink?"

"No! No, I didn't! Please, I have a daughter!" Ethan sobbed, causing me to finally snap. I clasped my hand over my mouth as tears leaked from my eyes.

"Oh? You have a daughter? How is that? Did you drug your baby mama too?" Ruby forcefully grabbed Ethan's hand and held onto his pointer finger. The sickening sound of crushing bones followed by the screams of pain and despair sent me over the edge, and I leaped towards her. I grabbed her shoulder and pulled her back, making her stumble slightly.

"Are you crazy?!" I screamed, but Ruby did not seem fazed.

"Did you fuck her?" Ruby spat, no longer using the same playful tone as she was before.

Ethan could not reply. He was too busy screaming in agony.

"Hey, hey, listen to me." Ruby degradingly tapped the gun against his cheek. I could not believe my eyes.

Finally, Ethan stopped. He slowly looked up at her with bloodshot eyes, saliva drooling down his chin and a running nose.

"No. No, I didn't." He said and that should of relieved me but I was too horrified.

"But you wanted to, didn't you?" I realized that Ruby had done this before. Why else would she have access to a gun, plus she was way too confident and seemed to be enjoying it.

"Yes, alright! I fucking wanted to!" Ethan roared, before breaking down into a sob again.

I should of felt nothing but relief after hearing this, but all I wanted to do was to get out of there. I stopped caring about what Ethan did ages ago.

Ruby briefly smiled, humming with her lips sealed. She turned her head and looked directly at me. "Well, there you go." And with that, she strolled out of the home, shutting the door behind her, encasing me in Ethan's house.

I could not move a muscle. Ethan's continuous cries of pain returned me to reality. I looked at Ethan and took a shaky breath in.

"If you had asked, I would of come home with you." I said sadly. "You shouldn't have done that, Ethan."

I began to walk the same way Ruby had gone.

"Wait, wait, wait, don't you dare leave!" Ethan slammed his legs down on the ground, clutching his broken finger.

I ignored him and the nausea I was feeling as I stepped outside, the fresh air briefly bringing me comfort.