27| Acres

I WAS STARTLED awake by the sound of something breaking. My heart skipped a beat as I sat up, the first thing entering my mind was an intruder.

I was still in Gemma's room, and when I looked to my left out the window, I saw that it was night. I had been asleep for the entirety of the day.

Another thing smashed and I flinched. I held my breath as I listened closely to the sound coming from the room next door.

I heard a faint voice that sounded like they were in hysterics. "Fuck!"

My legs moved quickly out the bedroom and down the hallway. I immediately pushed opened the door.

Ruby ran her hand down the side of her dresser, perfumes and jewellery sent crashing to the floor. If the floor was not carpet, then the perfume bottles would have broken and the smell would have been suffocating.

She had not realized I was there. She held her head in her hands as she walked towards the other side of the room, sending her side table upside down.

As I breathed in more and more I started to inhale the familiar smell of alcohol. Every time Ruby would move I would get a whiff of her intoxication. This was incredibly upsetting because Ruby did not drink. I never knew why, but I was now seeing the reason before my very eyes.

Before I could do anything a knock on the door caught my attention and I ran towards it. I peeped through the hole to see a couple in their late adulthood standing on the other side of the door. They looked at each other as the ruckus coming from Ruby's bedroom continued.

I opened it, forcing my head between the door and the frame.

"Hi..."

I get no greeting back. "We live next door and can hear everything that's going on..." The woman said. If she would have smiled then there would be a whole other meaning to what she was saying, but instead she glared.

"I'm so sorry about that, we'll keep it down..." I saw her eyes glance at my body and I quickly pulled up my towel that was almost falling off my chest.

"It's just that, we recently suffered a loss and we're not taking it very well-"

The door was forced open from behind and I quickly turned to see Ruby next to me. She leaned her hand against the door frame just above my head.

"The fuck do you want?" She spat, and I closed my eyes and mentally groaned.

The man did the talking instead. "If you lot don't keep it down in the next few minutes then we're calling the cops!" He warned, pointing his fingers at us.

I felt Ruby press up against my shoulder meaning that she was about to take physical action and I quickly turned around and wrapped my arms around her waist.

"Ruby, don't!" I pleaded, looking up at her.

"You fuckheads! Get the fuck out of here before I beat your fucking ass!"

"Ruby!" I shoved her and she stumbled back into the apartment. I quickly closed the door and locked it, keeping my body pressed against it for a few seconds to process what just happened.

"Are they fucking serious? Who the fuck does that?" Ruby sent her foot into the TV. The sound of it landing on the floorboards made me cringe.