45| Christmas Day

THE FIRST THING I thought of when I woke up is the fact that it was Christmas Day. I could already smell the cinnamon and pine, and the gingerbread house that I spent all day putting together yesterday.

The first thing I did was roll over onto my other side to face Ruby, who was still asleep and had her back to me. I scooted closer towards her and snuggled into her back, earning a sleepy groan in response.

"Merry Christmas!" I exclaimed, shaking her instead of cuddling her.

She lifted her head and looked at me from the corner of her eye. "Oh yeah, it's Christmas." She yawned.

I threw the blankets off both our bodies and went into Gia's room. I plopped myself down next to her on the bed and shook her as well. "Wake up, time to open the presents!"

She smiled before opening her eyes. I could tell she was feeling the Christmas spirit as much as I was. After all, this turned out to be both our first proper Christmas in a long time.

Our little Christmas tree was packed with presents underneath it, so much that you could barely see the tree itself.

I searched for the envelope that had Ruby's name for it and handed it to her, along with a smaller box in green and red stripped wrapping paper.

We were all sat on the floor like children, eating pieces of the gingerbread house.

"Open the present first." I said, starting to feel anxious and praying that she genuinely liked her present.

She tore through the wrapping to reveal a narrow black box. She sent me a look before opening up the box and lifting out a white gold watch, her eyes wide.

"Aw, Ellis," she laid it against her wrist, "it's perfect."

Thankfully, her reaction seemed very genuine. I sighed in relief, earning a laugh from Gia.

She opened the envelope and pulled out a note. "Since you love an adventure," she read out loud. It took her a few seconds to realize that it was a ticket to skydive. It made her laugh.

"Only one?" She asked jokingly.

"Well, I knew if I put in two you'd make me come with you, and that's not happening in a million years." I said.

"Lucky you got out of this one." She said, crawling towards me and planting a kiss on my lips before returning back to her spot.

"Here you go," Ruby passed me a Christmas stocking and I noticed Gia had a huge smile on her face.  She must have known what it was.

I really hoped that Ruby didn't spend too much money on me.

I pulled out a light pink circle-shaped item and I took it as a choker necklace.

"That's so cute," I said, holding it against my neck. "I've never had one before but I know it's very in right now."

Gia and Ruby burst out laughing, leaving me shocked. "What?" I asked, frowning. They ignored me and continued to laugh, Gia exclaiming that she was about to pee herself.

Ruby was wheezing. "Just... Just keep looking." She said, wiping the tear from under her eye.

"Okay..." I slowly returned my hand into the stocking and pulled out a squeaky bone toy and when it finally hit me, I screamed.

"No! No way!" I nearly fell over on the ground.

I watched as Ruby got up and went over to the bathroom door. I grabbed Gia's arm and squeezed it, waiting for Ruby to open it.

Finally, she did and sure enough, the three legged puppy that we rescued came hopping towards Gia and I.

I scooped her up in my arms and snuggled my face into her fur, letting out a sob. I was beyond happy.