24| No Choice

^DAISY^

IT WAS A challenge to try and not cry in public, especially after letting it all out in the back of the Uber that brought me to the airport and no doubtingly earning a one star from the driver. The guilt I felt for getting Rylan hurt and for the way I treated Gemma was crushing me.

While waiting in line at the airport, I started rummaging through my bag to see if I had any sunglasses I could hide behind and hopefully cry without being noticed, but then it hit me that I left them on top of the drawer in my room.

I let a few tears fall anyway, hoping that it would satisfy my need to cry, but once I started I could not stop.

It was humiliating. Everybody in the line was staring at me, horrified by the sight of a woman sobbing heavily with markings on her neck. However, I still did not expect someone to approach me.

"Honey, is there anything I can do?" A woman who could not be older than thirty had stepped out from the front of the line and came up to me with a sympathetic smile.

I shook my head, keeping my gaze on the ground. I hurriedly wiped my tears away.

Her hand was warm and comforting against my arm, rubbing me gently through my wooly cardigan.

"Where were you off to?" She asked, her voice soft and soothing.

"N-New York." I answered in my horribly raspy voice.

"Great. We still have plenty of time. How about we grab something to eat?"

"I HAVE A funeral in California tomorrow. My mother-in-law died last week." Daisy said as she unwrapped her cheeseburger. "Chase is already there, so it's just me flying."

I was shocked that she was talking to me as if nothing happened. I wished I could eat, but I had no appetite.

"I'm sorry to hear that... Were you close to her?" I tried, hoping that it would distract her from the fact that my burger was untouched.

"Oh no, definitely not. We hated each other." Daisy scoffed a laugh. "But of course I wish she didn't die."

I managed to smile. That was exactly how I felt with everything. I hated Ethan and Rylan for what they did, but I did not want them to suffer.

"Thanks for this. I, uh, wish I could be better towards you."

"Seriously, you don't need to thank me. I'm just trying to return a little more faith in humanity, you know how things are at the moment."

I smiled again. "Yeah. I do." I cleared my throat. "That was so embarrassing, wasn't it?" I tried to laugh at my own misery but it just made me tear up again.

"Not embarrassing at all, just a bit worrying. I can tell you're going through something. Do you... Do you want to tell me what's going on? I don't know anyone to tell.

My stomach turned at the thought of telling her my humiliating ordeal. She would never understand.

"Trust me, I'm not the same person I was five years ago. I've been through a lot, most of which you'll think I'm some insane person."

I laughed with her, but I was still concerned about telling her. I contemplating for a few moments, watching people pass by with their luggages.