32| Night Full

^RUBY^

RUBY WALKED AHEAD of me towards Cody's house, a spacious and modern block that had so many windows and not enough blinds.

I could still feel her lips against mine. They were plump and tasty, and I had no idea how that was possible. I just wanted to kiss her again but could not get myself to. I didn't want to annoy her.

"Wait," she grabbed my arm before I could pass and I immediately felt goosebumps on my skin, "on a scale of one to ten, ten being completely okay, how are you feeling right now?"

I blinked at her, never expecting such a strange question from Ruby.

"Uh," regardless, I thought hard about my answer. I was not happy, but I was not miserable. I felt comfortable. She made me feel that way.

"Four?" I replied.

"Four," she seemed to think for a moment, "well, let's change that to at least a six."

Six. Realistic and achievable.

When I saw Cody, I almost gasped. He looked awful. Worse than me. His hair was unkept, his clothes were stained and the skin of his face was sagging from lack of sleep. He also looked much thinner then the last time I saw him.

I was caught off guard by his hug but I let him take as long as he needed. His stubble grazed against my neck, causing some slight pain.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." His voice was muffled by my shoulder. I patted his back.

He was upset about not attending the funeral. I did not blame him. Everyone has different ways of coping with loss, and his was understandable.

"Cody," Ruby said from behind us. Cody finally pulled away from me and moved on to Ruby, devouring her in his arms.

"I loved her. You know that? I fucking loved her." He said and I finally noticed the slur in his voice.

"Are you drunk already?" Ruby said with slight disgust. Cody stumbled away from us and grasped the doorframe to hold himself up.

"No, it's from this morning." He said before proceeding down the hallway.

Ruby and I gave each other a look before stepping inside too.

It was harder than I thought it would be greeting everyone because this was only the second time meeting them and the first time was thanks to Gemma. We would have never expected what would come in just a short time after that.

I wanted to question what we were doing but I felt as though that would be disrespectful of me. Everyone had gathered in the living room, the blinds were shut and there was a pink tint coming from the lamps. I sat down next to Nadine while Ruby checked on Cody, who had run to the kitchen.

"How was it?" Nadine asked, staring at me with wide eyes. Why did she look so scared?

"It was..." I remembered Ruby and suddenly became lost for words. Nadine tilted her head, waiting for me to finish. "It was hard, but it was beautiful."

Nadine nodded. "We should have come. Sorry." She said. I wished everyone would stop apologizing to me.

"Don't be, this is more Gemma's scene anyway." I put on a smile as I began admiring my surroundings. If there was loud music and more people, then this place would be similar to a nightclub. 

"I fucking loved her!" We heard Cody suddenly shout. Not going to lie, I jumped in my seat.

"He's been saying that all day everyday since that night." Sabrina said from under her boyfriend's arm.