43| Search

"SO, JOSHUA, WHAT do you want to do?" I asked as I approached the boy, eager to start my first shift. No doubt that I was nervous, but I kept reminding myself that they weren't looking for anyone professional. Just someone who could feed and entertain him. I think I can do that.

"Draw!" Joshua exclaimed, smiling the biggest smile I have ever seen in my entire life.

"Draw, okay," I look around his desk until I find some blank pieces of paper and his Avengers pencil case.

I set it up for him, then sit back and watched as he drew what appeared to be a person. He was clearly struggling to hold the pencil still, yet he still looked like he was enjoying himself.

"What are you drawing?"

"Me." He replied.

I heard my phone ringing in my bag and I quickly got up and searched for it. After all, it could be Joshua's mom.

"Ring ring," Joshua repeated.

Sure enough, it was.

"Hello?"

"Hi, sorry to bother you Ellis, but I was wondering if you would be able to do me a favor?" I can tell through her voice that she is running.

"Oh, sure." I say.

"I have something put on hold at Target and I need you to go pick it up for me. I've already paid for it."

I looked over at Joshua, who has started drawing another picture. This time a horse.

"S-Sure uh, do I take-"

"Yes, that should be fine. Just message me if there's a problem. And don't forget his bag!"

I grabbed the blue backpack that contained Joshua's essentials. "Come on, we're going to the shops." I said, passing him his shoes. I didn't want to just put them on myself in case he wanted to be independent. He managed to slip them on but struggled with his shoelaces, so I did them for him and promised to teach him how when we got back.

As I drove, I had to keep an eye on Joshua at the same time as he began to complain about the seatbelt halfway through.

"No, don't take that off." I said, reaching over to hold the strap over his stomach.

He threw his head back and screamed, causing me to quickly pull over on the side of the road. I was starting to get flustered, not wanting to upset him too much.

"I'll tell you what," I said, pulling his seatbelt back into place, "if you keep this on, then I'll buy you anything you want."

He slowly quited down, staring at me. I waited nervously for a response.

"I want a basketball." He finally said.

"Okay, a basketball it is." I said, straightening up in my seat and starting the car up again. My first complication and it was solved with a bribe. I just prayed that it would not always be that way.

EVEN THOUGH I had been to Target two days ago for the Christmas tree, I enjoyed being there again.

Holding Joshua's hand, we walked towards the very back of the store. I got the package and was about to walk out when Joshua yelled at me.