36| Save A Life

MY DEEP SLUMBER was interrupted after only an hour of sleep, and as soon as I opened my eyes I remained still, listening to the source of the noise.

I heard it again and my blood ran cold. That was, until I realized where it was coming from.

Ruby, who was in the other double bed a few steps away from mine. She was turned over onto her side so all I could see was the back of her head, followed by the tattoos between her shoulders.

She let out a low moan, but it was not out of pleasure. It was a sad moan.

"Rubes?" I whispered to check if she was awake. She did not answer nor move.

"Ruby." I sat up when she made the sound again. I finally realized that she was in deep sleep.

I stayed say upright in bed, listening to her and contemplating what I should do. I wanted to wake her up but I felt bad for her, because I knew she could not help it. I wanted to sleep but the sound would only haunt me until I was awake again.

"Fuck it," I whispered to myself before throwing the blanket off my lower body. I tightened my robe around my waist and walked towards her before my toe hit the black wooden frame of the bed, that turned out to be lower on the ground than I had judged.

The pain erupting through my foot almost made me scream. I hopped around with my mouth wide open, clasping my toe.

"Ffff-" I stopped myself to not wake Ruby up, but there were tears gathered is the corner of my eyes.

To my horror, Ruby had awoken anyway, and she turned around to look at me with wide eyes. She must have thought I was a demon at first, but when she realized it was just me she let out a sigh of relief.

"What are you doing?" She asked.

"I stubbed my toe." I told her, still holding my toe.

"I know, I felt the whole bed shake. But why are you out of bed?"

"Oh," I suddenly felt embarrassed, because saying why out loud was weirder than actually doing it. "I'm cold. The heating doesn't seem to be reaching my side." I pointed to the vent above Ruby's bed. She followed my finger.

She began to move over and lifted the blanket up to reveal a nice, warmed up spot next to her.

"Get in." She said.

I quickly did so and Ruby turned to face the same position she was in a few seconds ago.

I stared at her back, getting a whiff of the body lotion that was provided to us by the hotel, along with these robes. It fell silent, I could barely hear her breathing.

"Ruby?" I whispered. I earned a groan in response. "Is everything okay?"

"What?" Ruby rolled around, her eyes half shut.

"I mean with you. Are you okay?"

She appeared to be caught off guard by it. "Yes."

I nodded as she turned around again. I bit my lips to stop myself from talking anymore and forced myself to go back to sleep. It was easier, now that I had extra warmth around me.