48| Fate

A/N

This chapter is split into two short parts because this book is about to wrap up, and next part will be up by tomorrow!

💗 Cambry

TWO MONTHS LATER, and nothing has changed. Well, nothing except for Gia.

With a lot of love and support, Ruby and I finally got the message through to her; that if she continued on the way that she was, she would most likely die before her 23rd birthday in May.

She started seeking professional help, which I could tell was really helping her because after each session, she walked out with a smile on her face, sometimes even laughing with the therapist.

But the best moment I found was when she flushed her stash down the toilet, as much as it pained her.

Withdrawals were difficult, especially seeing her in a state that was as if she was possessed. But after that, it seemed to be easier for her.

On my way home from work, my car broke down. Luckily, I managed to pull over onto the side of the road before it completely stopped working, but I was stranded somewhere that had more paddocks than it did houses.

I sat with the car door open, hoping that someone would drive by. It was nearly eleven at night, since Joshua's mother went out again. It didn't really seem likely that anyone would be driving past anytime soon.

"Please pick up," I muttered to myself as I called Ruby for what felt like the millionth time. Still, she did not answer.

I blew air out of my mouth and tried starting the car up again, but to no avail.

I saw a car in the distance, it's headlights hard to miss, and I put my hazard lights on and hoped that they would stop without me having to stand outside and beg them to. They didn't even slow down.

I decided that ringing Gia would be a good idea, seeing as she probably knew why Ruby wasn't answering her phone.

After five rings, she picked up.

"Hello?" She said, her voice raspy.

"Hey, sorry, did I wake you up?" I asked, as her voice really seemed like it.

"It's okay," she said, "what's up?"

"I'm uh, I'm stuck on the side of the road. My car's not starting up." I said, turning the key again and making the engine stutter.

"I'll come get you. Where are you?" She asked.

"Oh, no, it's okay. Can you just get Ruby to call me?"

"No, it's fine. Text me the address." Before I could argue, she hung up on me.

I felt like a burden but she did insist. I texted her the address, putting my feet up on the dashboard while I waited for her to arrive.

About twenty minutes later I saw a small white car pull up behind me. I got out immediately, an appreciative smile on my face.

"Thank you so much for this." I said as I walked over to her car.

"Hey, we look out for each other." She said. "We can come by tomorrow to pick up your car."