13| Old Lady Biscuits

^POPPY^

"I, UH, BETTER get going. Ellis, can you at least tell me where you live so that I can try and make it up to you?" Rylan pleaded, giving me puppy dog eyes.

I hesitated, unable to form a proper sentence. The last thing I wanted to do was let Rylan know where I live, then he would come over and expect me to forgive him. But on the other hand, I did not want to cause a scene in front of Ruby.

"Somewhere in Manhattan." Was all I could say and the lie felt cold leaving my lips. Rylan's face appeared hopeful, and I felt a tiny bit relieved without him questioning me any further.

However, my safe zone was about to be destroyed. "You moved to Los Angeles, remember?"

My chest tightened as Ruby's Australian accent flooded my eardrums.

I wanted to die out of embarrassment. How could I pretend that I still lived in New York when Ruby was acting like I was the stupidest person on Earth for forgetting that I moved to LA? The worst part was the way she said it. It was a voice that I had never heard her use before- a voice that pretended to be friendly.

I had to look down at my dirty white Converse, unable to look at Rylan anymore. I could only imagine how Gemma felt as well.

"LA?!" Rylan exclaimed, his eyes nearly falling out of their sockets.

I pinched the fat between my eyebrows. "Yes, Rylan. Fucking LA. Why does that matter to you? We broke up, for the last time! Broken up couples don't usually stay in contact!" I scared several people passing by with my loud voice.

I was fuming, but it was not necessarily towards Rylan. Ruby was the one at fault here.

"Wh- Wa- What about your job? You've worked there all your life!" Rylan acted like he was my mother, trying to convince me not to move away. It was way too late for that and Rylan was not my mother, nor someone important in my life anymore.

"There are plenty of other and better jobs in LA, Rylan." I said and Ruby butted in again.

"Yeah, like strip clubs." She said, and I could hear her smiling without having to look at her.

I exhales sharply, steam blowing from my nose.

"Strip club?" Rylan appeared disgusted, which only angered me more.

Before I could lose my temper any more than I already had, I decided that the smartest thing to do was to walk away. So, I did.

Gemma scurried after me, her numerous bags clashing together irritably. "Ellis, wait-"

I stopped walking and turned around. "I'm going to go visit Poppy now, okay? I'll meet you back at the hotel later on." I told her, giving her a reassuring smile.

Gemma frowned. "But don't you want me to come? I mean, we agreed that I'd meet her before we came here..." She trailed off.

"Yeah, well, that was before you invited Ruby, so change of plans." I said. I didn't mean to sound so harsh, but Gemma gave me an understanding nod.

I held my hand out as soon as I saw a cab driving towards me, climbing in before Gemma decided that she would come with me anyway. Gemma still stood on the sidewalk, watching us take off with a glum look.

When I reached my other best friend's house, I felt much better. I blocked out all my worries and problems and knocked on the door lightly.

As soon as Poppy answered, I felt my eyes fill with tears of happiness.

"Ellis!" Poppy exclaimed as she opened her arms wide. I slightly crouched down and hugged her, squeezing her gently.

"Sit down, please." Poppy guided me to the living room, forcing me to sit on a brown fabric recliner.

Her apartment was much smaller than ours, but it suited Poppy and tended to her very well. She was old and fragile, she did not need a long walk just to go to the bathroom or the kitchen. So when she was in the kitchen, fixing up some sweets and coffee, I could talk to her and she would still hear me from the living room.

"Did you already finish work?" I asked, watching her fumble with the cupboards.

"Yes. I only worked two hours. I wasn't feeling well." She said and I felt my heart sink. The worst thing was to here that Poppy was not feeling well. At her age, it was dangerous.

"I'm better now, don't you worry." Poppy added after I fell silent.

I looked around the room, smiling at the memories of my childhood. Behind the television, I could just about see the gaping hole in the wall that was the size of my foot. I had done it after showing Poppy my cartwheel. She did not get mad at me and instead laughed while I cried out of guilt. She insisted that it was going to be a good memory of me when I was gone, and she was right. Ten years later and I am laughing at it.

Poppy had no family, which was why I had marked so much of her home with memories. I was like her grandchild, and she was like my grandmother. The only people I had left in this world was her and Gemma. No relatives. Nothing.

Poppy gently placed a tray down in front of me. I took the blue mug immediately, sipping the hot drink.

She sat down across from me, reaching for a chocolate cookie.

"I got a job." I said, nibbling on the cookie.

"Let me guess, American Apparel?"

I chuckled. The first time I had landed the job, I was ecstatic. Poppy had told me that it was better for me to try other places, and I had told her that I was only staying for a year or two, just until I could find somewhere else. Instead, I ended up working their for most of my life.

"Actually, waitressing at a bar." I said. There was no way that I would tell her it was a strip club because Poppy was conservative and it was the least expected of me.

I wanted to tell her about what happened to me at the club, but that would cause her to freak out, and freaking out at her age was not good.

I just needed comfort from someone, but the only person that knew and could know was Ruby. And she was far from comforting. I felt so alone.

I realized that I must have zoned out, because the clinking sound between Poppy's cup and the table made me flinch. Luckily, she did not notice.

I stayed for several more hours, deciding to order in Chinese take-away so that Poppy would not have to cook. Afterwards, it was eight and Poppy was slowly drifting off on the couch.

I watched her with a smile on my face, admiring how adorable she was. When I could hear her snoring, I decided that it was time for me to get going as much as I didn't want to.

I quietly cleaned up the mess we made and then returned with a blanket. I gently threw it over her tiny body and kissed her head.

As I left, I made sure to lock the door. I could have taken the elevators, but I have a fear of them after once being trapped in it, right here in this complex.

So as much as it killed my legs, I took eleven flights of stairs down to the street.

I caught another cab and fifteen minutes later, I was at the hotel. It was a fancy one, made up of primarily glass. Of course Gemma would choose the most expensive. I would of chosen a crap one, as we were out and about for most of the day.

To my relief, Ruby never showed up and although I should of felt worried, Gemma and I assumed she was staying with friends as she had stated that we would barely see her. It was awkward between Gemma and I, but I knew it was not her fault what had happened during the confrontation. I just needed a good night's sleep.