49| Forget

A/N

This is the last (but very short) chapter of this book, because it's more of an ending type of thing. Enjoy!

💗 Cambry

AS SOON AS I saw Ruby enter the hospital room, I felt immense relief. It was like she took away all my pain, just by being here with me.

She looked distressed, her eyes red and teary. She approached me with such urgency, her hands reaching over to hold my face.

I thought she was going to kiss me but I had an oxygen mask on, which helped me to breathe through the cramping in my lungs. Instead, she hugged me.

I held her back tightly, as much as it hurt my arms, nuzzling my face into her neck and savouring her scent. It's a miracle that I didn't die tonight.

She pulled away and let out a soft gasp, and I realized that she was crying. The sight made my eyes water, but I didn't want to cry because I was alive and that was a good thing.

She sat down into the chair beside my bed, but I felt like she was too far away.

"No," I patted the bed, "here." I croaked.

Ruby chuckled through the tears before standing and hoisting herself up onto the bed with me. It was a tight squeeze, but it meant that I was closer to her. She laid on her side against her elbow, gently dragging her hand through my hair.

"I'm so sorry." She whispered.

"Why?" I said with genuine confusion.

"I didn't answer the phone." She replied.

"You were sleeping." I said, well, I assumed.

There was a pause, and she rolled her lips together. "Actually, I was talking to my cousin."

I looked up at her, interested to hear more about her family. I didn't know much about them like I did about her parents.

"He owns a private resort down in Mexico, and said we could stay there for as long as we wanted."

"Like a holiday?"

Ruby smiled, pressing her chin against my head. "Sure."

I'd have to get time off from work, but I think a holiday is much needed. Especially after tonight.

"How's Gia?"

"Forget about her." Ruby muttered, picking fluff off my hospital gown.

"Is she okay?"

"She's fine," Ruby said with hate in her voice, "she almost killed you. That bitch lied about being clean. She was snorting cocaine right before she picked you up."

I frowned, feeling hurt. The whole time, I thought I was helping her. I even spent my own money to get her the help she needed. I felt betrayed more than angry.

"Forget about her. Let's just focus on going to Mexico. From now on, she's out of our lives."

I sighed and cuddled into her chest. After a long pause, I spoke. "It's not a holiday, is it?"

Ruby took her time responding. "No, I'm sorry."

I sighed, knowing that Ruby actually wanted to move there to run away from everything here. I knew what this meant, that I would have to quit my job, which brought me to tears. I had just become so close to Joshua, and now I had to say goodbye.

"Gemma's room," I said, sniffling.

"I'm sure Seth and Melanie would appreciate having her things." Ruby said. She held me tighter when she saw that I was crying. "We don't have to if you don't want to."

"No, it's okay." As difficult as it would be and as much as it hurt, I knew it was for the best. "I'm tired," I said, closing my eyes.

The oxygen mask was annoying me, so I reached up to take it off but Ruby's hand clasped over mine, holding it in place. "Don't touch that." She said sternly. I dropped my hand and let myself relax, trying to sleep through the aching of my body.

"I love you so much." Ruby mumbled before kissing my head. I gave a faint smile before drifting off.