47| New Years Eve

HAVING TO WORK on New Years Eve sucked, but I knew that Joshua's family wanted to spend some quality time together so I was willing to help. Apparently, the girl who was supposed to work today was sick, although I knew she just said that so that she wouldn't miss going out tonight.

Joshua's mother returned home half an hour before midnight and let me finish early. After saying good bye to them and wishing them a Happy New Year, I walked out the front door with my bag in one hand and keys in another.

I noticed Ruby's car parked at the front, and I slowly approached it, waiting for her to notice me. Once she did, she rolled down the windows and leaned against the door.

"Quick, we have-" she glanced at the watch that I bought her, "-half an hour or we miss the fireworks."

I felt my face light up as I realized that I would be celebrating New Years after all. I ran towards the car and Ruby sped off before I had even put my seatbelt on.

"How long have you been waiting?" I asked her, pinching her cheek.

"Since eleven." She said, swatting my hand away.

"I'm glad you celebrate New Years." I said, knowing that she barely celebrated Christmas.

"It's my favorite." She replied, forcing an eager look on her face. I chuckled.

I hadn't even realized that she had brought Heaven with us. I held her on my lap for the rest of the trip.

She parked the car and we both got out at the same time before she jogged towards me, grabbed my hand and dragged me down a street towards a tall hill.

"I'm going to slip!" I said as my shoes provided no grip and I could slip and fall off that hill.

"Quick! It starts in three minutes!"

I let go of her hand and used my own to pull myself up this monstrous hill and once at the top, Ruby dropped down next to me while I grimaced at the dirt that was all over me.

She held onto my waist and pulled me closer to her side so that our bodies were against each other.

The view was incredible. Down below, there were people sitting on blankets and chairs, surrounded by platters of food. Some were couples like us, others were families with children. The children ran around, playing with each other.

The thought of having children never occurred to me. Would I ever have any? I wondered if I would even be with Ruby for that long. I hoped so. I was going to ask, but decided that maybe it was too early to ask if she ever wanted children. It might give her the impression that I wanted children right now. No way.

I kept staring ahead, waiting for the fireworks to begin. It wasn't exactly the fireworks that I loved, it was the idea that we were entering a new year. So much could happen in that year, like it did this past year.

This year had been both the worst and the best for me. But among all that happened, I felt that it was a blessing in disguise, because I met Ruby and she saved me.

I found myself remembering Gemma, and how next year would be the first anniversary of her death. I didn't want to be sad, but I also didn't want to stop thinking about Gemma. Because not a day went by that I didn't think about her at least once.

It was like Ruby could read my mind. She touched my chin and pushed it towards her, before leaning in and kissing me. Just as the fireworks went off with a loud bang.

Heaven started barking like mad, making us break the kiss early as we laughed at her reaction to the noise. Thank God we had her on a leash, otherwise she probably would have made a run for it. She got over it eventually.

There was cheering coming from the bottom of the hill as everyone celebrated the fact that we were in January now. I saw couples kissing, like we had been. So many people were embracing as well. A good start to a new year.

"I HOPE GIA is alright." I said as Ruby and I walked down the streets, hand in hand, as we made our way back to the car.

"She told me she was going out tonight. Can't really stop her, you know?"

I nodded, although last time she went out we had to pick her up. I wondered if we would do that this time too. Not that I minded, I would rather her be safe.

"I feel like this year will be good for her. I really do believe that she can get better." I said.

"We'll keep trying, but she can't really be helped if she doesn't help herself as well." She said.

"That's true," I sighed.

I felt the strap to my sandals snap off, causing me to fall out of the shoe. Ruby laughed loudly at me, even though I was clearly in pain from having scraped my knees against the sidewalk.

I sat on my butt and picked up my shoe to look at it. "How does that even happen?" I asked, making Ruby laugh even more. She leaned down in front of me and helped pick the small rocks out of the skin, which was red but not bleeding.

"Come on," she took my shoe from me and stood up before turned around, gesturing for me to hop on her back.

"Oh, I don't think-" she grabbed me by the wrists and pulled me towards her, giving me no choice but to do so.

After my third attempt, I finally managed to jump high enough so that she could get a good grip on me.

I wrapped my arms gently around her, resting my cheek against the back of her neck. I sighed with content.

"I love you," I said, well more like blurted, but I wasn't scared anymore.

"I love you too." She replied, and I accidentally  let out a squeak in excitement, making her laugh again.

"PANCAKES? AGAIN?" I laughed as I sat down beside Ruby on the couch, resting my head on the crook of her neck.

"They're my favorite." She said as she drizzled maple syrup on top of the stack of four.

"I've noticed." I sat upright and grabbed a knife and fork. I began to cut into my pancakes, Ruby already halfway through hers.

"I think these are better than that parlours." I said truthfully.

"You're just saying that 'cause you're my girlfriend." Ruby gushed, exaggerating.

"Yeah, true. Those pancakes were the best." I said, causing her to scoff. "You got a little," I swiped my thumb across the sticky substance next to her mouth. I then brought it to my lips to get it off. It tasted even better after being on Ruby.

The smirk she wore as she watched me do so sent tingles through my body.

I pounced, causing her to fall back with her head against the throw pillow. She laughed as I attacked her inner lip with my own, licking off the remainder of the syrup.

I looked at her, hoping she was thinking the same thing I was thinking. That this could be fun.

It seemed that she was indeed, because she pulled the straps of my top down to my waist, revealing my bare breasts, and grabbed the syrup bottle.

I couldn't stop laughing as she drizzled the cold and sticky substance all over my chest before she sat up and began to suck it all off.

The sound of the front door opening caused me to squeak, falling forward against Ruby to cover myself.

We both looked to see Gia had returned home, only she didn't look so good. Her face was sickly pale, and her eyes appeared sunken in. She looked dead.

"Gia-" I went to speak but she just retreated to her room without even acknowledging us.

Ruby and I looked at each other, both unsure of what to do.