Chapter Two (Laylis)

With a big yawn, I woke up at 7:45 exactly and headed for the bathroom. Already waiting for me was my blue fitted t-shirt and dark skinny jean outfit with my towel for when I got out. I loved to be prepared. After I got out of the shower, I brushed my teeth, shook out my hair and got dressed. Finally, I made my bed and grabbed my bookbag which was already filled with everything I needed for my first day as a Sophomore in high school.

Before I left my room, I stepped in front of the big, full body mirror and started mentally checking things off. I took a shower, had my first day outfit on, grabbed my bookbag, brushed my teeth, made my bed and was going downstairs. Satisfied, I gave myself one more look over and headed downstairs. On my way down, I passed the other three doors in the hallway and averted my eyes. Not today, I thought to myself.

Walking down the steps, cold water droplets sunk through my shirt and kissed my shoulders, sending shivers all through me. Droplets landed on my square, wide, black framed glasses as I took each step down.

"Good morning, Lissy." Chirped my little brother playing with blocks on the carpet.

"Good morning, Busy Bug." I replied.

My dad tossed me an apple and my mom tugged one of my curls over my eye.

"Have a good day at school, honey." They said in unison and I walked out the door.

My smile dropped with every step I took until it completely vanished and I just looked like an average girl walking to school. My home is my safe place. The world is filled with secrets and dark behaviors. I save my smile for the people who really matter to me. My family.

My plan was to go through the whole day without being noticed much and glide through the day undisturbed. I wasn't really a people person so it was my best plan. I don't mean to make it sound like I'm just a terribly grouchy person but me and other people my age don't really click. I learned to just not try.

I toss my apple core into the trash can as I enter the school. Excited chatter and shuffling shoe noises fill my ears as I walk through the halls to get to my first class which I looked at my paper to see was Spanish ll. I was almost there when, "Oww! He-"

A boy had run right into me making me trip and drop my schedule. He tried to apologize and help me up but I swatted his hand away. I looked at him and seen he was actually handsome; this did not lessen my irritation one bit.

I smiled at him with an impatient smile that he must have mistaken for a genuine one because he started to smile back.

"Watch where you're going!" I said and whacked his arm.

"Oww, Again! Sorry, but you were the one who ran into me!"

I couldn't believe it. He really tried to blame me!

"At least be man enough to own up to it! There are no Gentleman left in the world!" I said while picking up the schedule I dropped.

He proceeded to rant on about how girls weren't girls anymore and how he was a gentleman. I simply told him I was fine with who I was and walked off to my first class.

I mean, yeah. I could have been a little easier on him but he bumped right into me. Hard enough to knock the paper out of my hand and make my knee hit the floor. He definitely had it coming. I shrugged it off and walked into class.

The teacher introduced himself and spent most of the period explaining what his class would be like and what to expect. He gave us our first homework of the year which was just a simple "Getting To Know You" sheet filled with simple questions used to see what you knew so far.

After getting out of first period, I looked to my schedule to see what my next class was only to see that it wasn't my name on the paper. "Jason Smyther" it read and I knew immediately that I must have picked up the wrong schedule after he bumped into me. I knew I needed to get it back so I tried to think of a quick way to find him.

When I went to put the schedule in my folder I seen that there was writing on the back. There were two numbers. One labeled, "Dad's number" and another labeled, "Phone number". I dialed the second number hoping it was his and then clicked send. It started ringing.