Chapter Six

After school, I actually felt good. Something about apologizing made me feel lighter. The only thing that still weighed on me a bit was that smile Jason gave me when I said, "Okay?". I'm usually the one with the confusing smiles. Yes, I'm aware that I do those. Again, I shrug it off and head home.

When I get there I drop my stuff in my room and look in the mirror. My hair isn't dripping anymore so my curls have tightened making them look shorter. I go wet my hair a little since I like how it looks like that more. I start to get my books out to do the little bit of homework I have but for some reason I don't feel like being inside.

I head down stairs and decide to do it later.

"Hey, honey. I didn't see you come in." Says my dad when I enter the kitchen.

"Dad!" I say surprised and give him a hug. "I feel like I haven't seen you in forever."

He laughs his deep laugh that earned him the laugh lines imprinted in his deep brown skin and hugs me back. "Honey, it's only been a day."

"I know. I know, but still." I let go and grab a water bottle out of the fridge. I decide it's too cold and pick one up from the counter. I like it better room temperature.

"Are you going somewhere?" He asks me.

"I'm just going outside. It's a nice day. Want to go on a walk with me?"

He thinks about it and almost looks like he'll say yes before he looks at his watch and his face falls. "Sorry, Lissy. I have to get back to work. I didn't realize what time it was."

"Dad, isn't today your day off?"

"Yeah, it's supposed to be. A few people got laid off so the rest of us have been picking up the shifts."

"Well... okay. And by the way, since when do you call me Lissy again? That stopped years ago."

"Oh, did I? I didn't realize. It must be because your little brother calls you that. Him and your mom are taking a nap in the extra room, by the way. So don't lock yourself out when you leave. Bring your keys."

"Okay, I'll grab them. Have a good day at work, dad."

He leaves and I go back upstairs for my keys. When I finally walk outside, the sun is shining and it feels like a perfect day. I lock the door behind me and step onto the sidewalk when I see a bike turning onto my street. I couldn't believe it. All I wanted to do was go for a walk and here he is. Jason Smyther turning onto my street. I don't think he originally realized it was a dead end. I almost go back inside since my plan was to ignore him the rest of the year but I wanted to see what he'd do when he seen me. So, I stepped back off the sidewalk and sat on the steps. He rode closer.

Finally, he sees me when he's right in front our neighbor's house and almost falls off his bike. I laugh a little bit and he stops the bike, stepping one foot off and leaning over to stand it on the sidewalk. Then, we stare at eachother. He looks back over his shoulder like he's thinking about turning around so I stand up and walk over to him. His face changes from partially frightened to calm and cool when he realizes I'm coming towards him.

Again, I notice that he's handsome. He has skin a shade or two darker than mine and deep brown eyes. His hair is short, to the head, and waved. He's not muscular but not skinny either; he's toned. So, yeah. He's handsome but kind of nerdy too.

"You okay, Smyther?" I ask when I get to him.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Why?"

"Well, you almost fell on your face when you seen me sitting there." His eyebrows go up in embarrassment. I smirk which brings them back down to his "I'm fine." look.

"I seen you laugh." he says seriously.

"Yeah, and?"

"You look pretty when you smile."

Now, you're probably expecting me to blush or maybe say something flirtatious. But... let's just say I'm not all to practiced in being girly.

"Oh yeah? Opposed to what? The rest of the time when I look like a bog monster?"

"No. No!" He stumbles repositioning himself on the bike. "That was a compliment. You always look pretty. I mean, uh, you're a very pretty girl."

There it was. The awkwardness I usually see.

"You just don't really smile much, do you? You always look angry or irritated. Like you're just waiting to get away."

"Okay... well, have a nice bike ride."

He looks confused when I walk around him which is starting to be a normal thing. Another reason I don't usually try to talk to people my age. They don't get me.

"Hey, wait!" he calls when I'm a few houses away. He rides up to where I am and stops again. "What is it with you? Why are you so standoffish?"

"Excuse me," I say facing him, already getting irritated. "I was going for a walk." I turn around again and start walking.

"Okay, hey. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that." He pulls in front of me blocking my way with his bike. "I'm just trying to understand you."

Looking at his face, he really does look sorry. I sigh.

"No, it's fine. I'm sorry. I don't talk to people much. As you can see, I'm not really a people person."

He laughs and looks a little relieved that I hadn't blown up like a bomb.

"Can I ask you something?" he says looking straight at me.

"Uh, sure. What is it?"

"Are we... friends or what? You kind of confuse me so I thought it would be better to ask instead of assuming."

I thought about it. No, I mean we aren't really friends. I was trying to avoid him. I didn't feel like being rude, though. He was just asking a simple question. I could be nice...

"Do you want to be?" I ask.

"Oh, well... it's up to you. I wouldn't mind being friends but..."

"Okay then, no. We aren't." Again, I start to walk away and this time he doesn't follow until I'm all the way up the street.

"Laylis! Would you just stop!"

I whip around with fire in my eyes.

"What? What do you want?"

"Why are you so hot and cold? You were just being sort of nice and then boom! You're all fire cracker on me again."

"You asked a question, I answered it."

"Why did you say no? You seemed like you might say yes, I talk and then you say no and walk away."

"I asked you if you wanted to be and you didn't say yes. So I said no. Okay? Bye."

I don't know why I even thought about it. I can't stand people! They are so oblivious and nerve wrecking. I march away, deciding to go back home, trying to put as much distance between us as possible.

"Yes."

I stop. Turning around I see that he's still sitting there. "What did you say?"

"I said yes." He answers with no facial expression. "So, I guess we're friends now, right?"

He turns his bike around and rides away leaving me confused. I didn't like that he could do that to me and I really didn't like where ever this was going.

****Laylis has a bit of an attitude, yes? Haha, Hope you're enjoying so far. Please leave feedback :)****

Laylis & Jasonजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें