Chapter Five

Girls truly confuse me. The hothead actually had enough kindness in her burnt heart to try and make stuff up. That would have been the last thing I would have thought she'd do. I guess she just wanted to start over. I can understand that. But her word choices, that's what bugs me.

I know I may not seem like a perfectionist or be the smartest guy in the world but I do have an attention to detail. Words such as 'we' and 'us' make it seem like we are a group, which was not one, not the last, thing I would peg us as. She wanted to resolve the problem but included me in the solution.

Plus, she was looking out for our best interest. It truly puzzled me, what does this exactly mean? Friends? Associates? Came-to-the-realization-that-I-deserve-a-lot-better-treatment? I would ask a friend, but I don't have any. Only one person I could ask...

"Uh, dad. I have a question. Did you ever have anybody in your life that starts out mean and then becomes nice?" I asked him. Now I know, this may not be the best choice, but sometimes to get the answers you have to do stuff you don't like, such as eat all your self confidence and seem vulnerable to your parent.

I hate feeling vulnerable, it just doesn't feel right. It's so uncomfortable, and I don't like being on the hot seat, but I need answers! "Well son, how do they act with other people?" He countered. Ohh boy, here we go. Time to play 101 questions with my dad.

The subject? My school experiences I'd rather not discuss... With anyone! "Well, I really haven't seen her interact with anybody." I answered. "Ohh, so it's a girl?". Crap. Said too much, and there's that feeling, the feeling you get when your parents ask you things that are not weird, but talking to them about it makes it so.

"Yes." I answer. Whoa, two questions deep and he is already getting his parent guaranteed drama fix. "Do you like her?" He asks with a big smile across his face. Okay, now I really regret this. "No, I don't like her, she is just acting weird." "How weird? What about her recent behavior makes her seem weird?"

Is anyone keeping count? Five questions deep and he also gets his, yet again, parent guaranteed drama fix. This time, though, he can pretend he is a therapist. Why can't he just watch the Housewives or something? Oh yeah, because I was stupid enough to talk about this stuff with my dad.

"Well, the first time we met, on the first day of school, I ran into her, acted like a gentleman and she repaid me with a punch to the arm." "So she made physical contact with you?" "Ugh! Dad! You did not just say that!" "Hey, I'm just trying to help." Dad, I love you to death, but the huge devious smile on your face says otherwise.

"Well, yes. Then later that day when I went to get my schedule from her, she blew my head off in math. All because I didn't pick up when she tried to call me." "So she has your phone number? Has she called you again? Did you reply to her?" Dad! For Pete's sake, at least try not to make my life your personal drama show!

"Yes, no, and no. Well, because of our quarrel in math now we have to sit with each other everyday." "Do you like sitting with her? Does she smile at you?" "No. Definitely no! And, the way she smiles at me... no." "How does she smile at you?" "Dad! This isn't about her smiling at me! So anyway, today she apologized to the class and sorta apologized to me. Do you know what this means?"

"Well, this could mean many things..." Who would have guessed? "Everyone is different, it seems you are gonna have to be upfront and just ask her." Thanks dad. I spilled my guts, suffered your 1(0)1 questions of humiliation, and that's all you got?

Well lesson learned: When you have questions about things you'd rather not discuss with your parents, stick to your gut feeling, don't discuss it with them. As old as they are, they are just as clueless about love as you are. It seems if I want real, honest answers, I'll have to ask Laylis herself.

Worse part about all of this... Let's just say by the end of this quest for answers I'll have no self-confidence, and feel just as exposed as when I wear shorts. I hate those, by the way.

Time to go take a bike ride. Always make me feel better; something about the fresh wind brushing against my face just makes me feel free. It always allows me time to think.