Chapter Twentyone

It was strange. Time was going by and school was almost out yet, nothing had really changed. It was a constant repeat week after week. Jason seemed to be content with how things were going; but me....

Something that got to me was he never mentioned the night I snuck in his window and completely forgot to ever officially ask me out. So, if we're being technical, Jason and I are not together at this point. We go on dates and usually hug goodnight after but that's it. It all just seemed brittle and old. Like, everything is okay but not actually great. We have fun sometimes and laugh but.... I'm not sure. It's like we're stuck in this long moment in time where things move forward but nothing changes.

Waking up Saturday morning, I had a thought that maybe Jason wasn't really interested in a relationship like he thought he was. Maybe he realized it was just a phase. All I had to figure out was if I was okay with that.

After getting ready I decide to go for a walk around the neighborhood and maybe stop at the park to relax and listen to music. I had just texted Jason to see if he wanted to meet me there and maybe see if we could talk about what we were when my phone rang. The name that displayed itself across my screen made my breath catch in my throat.

The picture that I had never changed of us came up with the call and only made it worse. We were in a field for a picnic and he was taking pictures of me. I managed to get behind him and tried to grab his phone but he outstretched his arm and I couldn't reach. He snapped the picture of us on the picnic blanket with me having one hand around him and the other reaching for the phone. I was laughing and he was looking at me with the strangest smile like he always did. It seemed he was always looking at me.

Answer the phone. Answer the phone. Answer the phone.

But I think it was more of my heart speaking. Eventually, after standing in the middle of the sidewalk just staring at the screen, the phone stopped ringing and our faces blinked away. I hadn't seen or talked to him since he left last summer. I never mentioned him to anyone when he left.

I guess I lied to Jason when I told him I never had friends. But in a way, I hadn't lied. He was more than a friend. He was my joy outside of home. The only person that could make me happy other than my family. The light that shined in the darkness outside of my house's door. Then he moved and that light died away. But there was Jason....

I realized that the person that lived in the house I was standing in front of was staring at me. They looked confused and a little worried. How long had I been standing here? I shot them a quick smile and quickly started walking down the street again.

One step, two steps, three steps, vibration in my pocket.

Aspen: Laylis, it's me. I'm back in town. Things with my dad in Georgia didn't work out so I moved back to Ohio. Please answer, I'd like to see you.

The words ran through my head a thousand times before I understood what it meant. Aspen was back.... For good.

Laylis: I don't know....

Immediately, he texted back.

Aspen: Oh my god. You answered. I thought you'd never talk to me again. I've been trying to reach out to you since I left last year. Can you meet me somewhere? I need to see you.

I thought about it. My heart was trying to beat its way out of my chest. I thought about saying no but I knew I couldn't ignore him. I had to see him if he was here.

Laylis: Okay... Where?

I went and texted Jason before Aspen replied.

Laylis: Never mind. Something came up.

Jason: Everything okay?

Laylis: Yeah. I'll call you later.

Jason: Okay.

Maybe I should have told him but it wasn't the right time to bring it up. Just replying, "Yeah, everything's fine. Just that my ex from last summer, that I never told you about, texted me and said he's back in town so I'm blowing you off to see him." Yeah.... Not too good of an explanation.

Aspen: Our field. I'll be there in 5 minutes. God, Laylis, I missed you.

Laylis: Okay.

I turned around and started walking back towards my house. We live on a dead end where trees are what's there instead of another street. It's like a small forest. They started to cut the trees down in one area to expand the street but never finished so we made it our spot. If you walk through the trees for about three minutes, you reach the open area. I love it there since it's completely surrounded by trees but I haven't been back since he left. But here I am and that's where I'm headed.

****I hope you enjoyed reading!****