Chapter Twelve

School was over for the day and I was walking home with Jason. Things had gotten so much better between us. We walked to school together everyday and the same went for walking home. Sometimes he'd come over and we'd study in my room. He asked about the other three doors before but learned not to ask anymore. Other times he'd come over and play with my brother which really made me happy. My brother was my heart and he made him smile.

My mom loved that I was with him so much. "This boy Jason, I like him. It's about time you had a friend." My mom would say. "He's cute too." My dad would chime in.

"Dad! Aren't you supposed to be the protective one?"

"She doesn't need a boyfriend, Marcus. She has school to focus on." "Oh, I am the protective one." He said ignoring her comment. "If he ever hurt you... I'm the protective one, baby girl."

I have interesting parents but I love them. Back to what I was saying previously, we were walking home from school and I was thinking about my day. I remembered that Juliet girl and felt bad about how she ran away. I shouldn't have laughed but something about her was just off. The way she looked at Jason was so odd. I also didn't really like the way Jason talked to her. It wasn't like him. Like me? Maybe, but him.... I feel like maybe he's changing because of me. I don't like that at all.

"Hey, Nathan wanted me to ask you if you wanted to come to his Birthday party this Saturday."

"It's this Saturday? I thought his birthday wasn't until Monday."

"It isn't but I have school and dad has work so we planned it for the weekend."

"Oh... Um."

"Oh?" I say looking over at him. "You don't have to come. I'll tell Nathan you're busy."

"No, it isn't that." He says nervously. "I just... uh... have a kinda sorta date thingy that day."

I stop and look at him but don't say anything;

"Only kinda sorta!"

Then burst out laughing, "Aww, that's so cute. Why do you seem so nervous to tell me that?"

We start walking again and he looks at the sky like he just seen an angel fly by. Deeply confused and extremely amazed. "Oh, you aren't mad? No punch in the arm again? Nothing.... Really?"

"Uh... no? Your love life isn't my business. So who's the special girl?"

"It is not love!" He says seriously, "And the girl.... Well, it's kind of Juliet."

Now that, that right there stopped me dead in my tracks. I wasn't expecting him to say her at all. Not after today. Who else would it have been though? If I really thought about it, he didn't have any other friends either; but Juliet. Really?

"Oh, well that's surprising. She didn't seem like your type." I say walking again. "She was a little weird and kind of creepy."

"Well, you're weird."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing. Anyway, I felt bad for being rude to her earlier so I apologized and she talked me into going to the Café with her this Saturday. You know, to make up for it."

Like I said, creepy. You ask someone to go on a coffee date with you to make up for being rude? How about, 'Yeah, it's fine. Thanks for the apology.' Doesn't that just make more sense? If someone was being rude to you, would you want to go on a date with them because they said sorry? No!

"Well, that's nice of you. I'll talk to Nathan. He's a smart boy so he'll understand."

"I don't want to miss his birthday party though. What time does it start?"

"Around one or one-thirty. My family will probably be there around one and everyone else a little later."

"Dang it! My date.... I mean café meeting is at one. It's like this was planned or something."

"Like I said, he'll understand. Have fun at your 'cafe meeting'."

We get to the corner and he turns down it while I continue forward. He tells me he has something to do with his dad so he can't tell Nathan himself. We say we'll see each other tomorrow morning and then we split.

When I get home Nathan runs right up to me with a sparkle in his eyes.

"What did Jason say? Did you ask him? Can he come?"

I put down my bag and pick him up to sit him on my hip.

"Sorry, Busy Bug. He can't make it. He already had plans. He wanted me to tell you he's sorry."

I wasn't expecting it. My little brother is still really young but he was almost always good with understanding when things came up. He might get a little sad but almost never really threw a fit. This time though....

"He's a meanie!" He shouted and jumped down. "How could he miss my birthday party? He said he was my friend and now he doesn't like me. I hate him!"

"Bug!" I say surprised. "What's gotten into you? You know sometimes things come up."

"But it's my birthday! Promise you won't talk to him anymore, Lissy!"

"Bug, I can't...."

"You have to! You have to promise. Pinky promise! You're my sister."

I know that I should have talked him down. He wasn't acting like he should but the way he said sister tugged at my heart. This is my little brother. My heart. I didn't want to hurt him.

"Okay, Bug. I promise." He took my pinky and locked it with his and then I gave him a hug.

I really didn't know why he was so hurt. Maybe because Jason was an older kid that was giving him attention or maybe just because he was my friend. I never have friends so it might have seemed special to him that we shared the only one I had. I didn't know and it confused me.

I ended up having to wake up earlier than usual so I could leave before Jason got to my house. I may be a little mean sometimes but I keep my promises. Especially to the ones I love.

The whole school week went on like that. Jason called and according to my mother, continued to wait for me in the morning. After Algebra I would hurry to my next class so he wouldn't stop me. I felt bad but my brother was hurt and remember how I told you he was my heart? Well, he hurt my brother so he hurt my heart. The more I thought about it, I actually started to get mad. How could he miss Nathan's birthday?

****Thanks for reading! I'd really appreciate some feedback so I know how I'm doing so far. :) Until next time.****