Chapter Eighteen

Jason said the words. He said, "I love you." The words shocked me more than the kiss itself. I accepted his date offer but I didn't say it back and was hoping he didn't notice. I did like Jason. I really liked him but... I had just recently figured that out. Wasn't love a big step? Did I make him assume it was love because he seen the tear at the park? How could I explain to him that that wasn't the reason? I wasn't crying because I was in-love and he wouldn't tell me he was too. I was crying because I thought I'd messed up. That I'd lost him as a friend.

After I said yes, he smiled and tried to kiss me again but I acted as if I didn't notice and turned around to inspect some imaginary sound.

"Okay, I have to get back to my dad. I figure it's about time I tell him what's been going on."

"What is that, exactly?"

"I'm going to tell him about us... Unless you don't want me to."

"What about us?"

"That we're, you know, dating."

"Hmm, that's interesting. I don't quite remember you ever asking me out." I say messing with him and he smiles again.

"Right, so I guess he'll have to wait to hear that news until after our date."

"Oh? Is that a hint you just threw there?"

"It might be. Well, gotta go. How about Friday around eight at the diner down the street?"

"I love that place."

"Then it's a date. I'll call you later?"

"Yeah."

After I'd closed the door I slid down it and let my head fall onto my arms that were resting on my knees. I was happy. I was really happy. We were going on a date, I hadn't messed us up and he liked me back. Well, loved me? You see, I was happy but I was also troubled. I needed to break this to him in a way that he'd understand. I just didn't want things to move too fast. I wasn't in-love or at least not yet. Not this soon.

Thinking about the date, it finally hit me. Friday was tomorrow. Tomorrow? I thought to myself. Tomorrow! I need to plan! I ran across the room and up the steps. What am I going to wear? What are we going to talk about? How am I going to tell... I stopped. I was standing right in front of Kori's door. One of my older sisters that passed away. I knew I would have to tell him about them but that wasn't the only reason why I'd stopped.

"Soon you'll be older and the boys will be falling all over you, pretty girl. I just want you to know, you can borrow my clothes anytime. I'll save all my old dresses for you. Matter of factly, there's a green one that would bring out your eyes beautifully. Let's just hope you can fit it when the time comes."

I loved that dress but I hadn't seen it for 3 years. Not since they passed away just weeks after she had told me that. She had never wore it anywhere because she didn't like how it fit.

"I'm too skinny!" She would complain to me. "Be happy that you got some of mom's curves."

I was close with all of my sisters but me and Kori were a different story. We were inseparable it seemed. I remember hearing the news and closing my eyes. Expecting that I'd drift away and be with her. When it didn't come, I'd cried. I'd cried in my room for a week straight. Barely eating or getting out of bed. Now I was in front of her door. A door I hadn't gone into for 3 years.

"Honey?" Called my mom, startling me out of my daze. I was surprised to see that she was standing quite close to me.

"What are you doing up here, mom?" She never came up here. No one really did but me. The only thing up the steps was one of the bathrooms and 4 other doors that belonged to me and my three sisters. The other bedrooms and bathroom was downstairs.