Chapter Eleven

It had been a month and three weeks since our deal. And everything was fine. For once, things were alright. In fact, things were great. Me and Laylis walked to school together, we talked, and we didn't argue... If you don't count 'Playful' banter. I joined her for her brother's play dates. Or at least that is what I call them.

We had made a new rule ever since. We take turns paying for the Ice Cream. What were you expecting? I went with her and her mom when they went shopping, and we had a similar rule for the smoothies, but this time we did Rock, Paper, Scissors to decide. It had seemed she caught on to me, she knew I always picked Scissors and then Rock.

Finally, ever since the start of the school year, things were normal. Or at least changed for the best. I was learning more about Laylis, and it seemed I was more and more Incorporated into her life. We didn't talk about me, or atleast I would duck any opportunities. Information about each other was exchanged on a need - to - know bases.

Now I know what you're thinking, "What about liking Laylis?". Well, she didn't seem to notice, or act on it after the deal, so neither did I. Why waste brain power thinking on it? Laylis ain't my type... I think. I haven't exactly decided what 'type' of girl I like, anyways...

Ahh. Another week of school. I woke up about 5 minutes before my dad came in to wake me. "Son, wake up." My dad said, while walking in with one eye shut and the other eye guarded by his hand from the sunlight gleaming through the blinds. "Too late, already awake." I replied, I had already chose my outfit about to head to the bathroom.

"Why do I try? You're always up early nowadays!" He asked. "Dad, your efforts are appreciated, by if I slept in, I would miss walking with Laylis to school." I answered. Strange, never thought she would be my reason I wake up (early) in the morning.

"So, you and this Laylis girl..." "Are friends. Yes dad. I told you that before." And then I walked out. Sorry dad, no time for you to get the wrong idea. I jumped into the shower, combed my hair, and put on my clothes. Today I wore a dark red shirt and, you guessed it, black jeans.

I ate breakfast and then quickly headed for the door. "Wear a jacket." Dad said. "I know. But we both know I won't. Love you dad." "Wait!" I had already left. Laylis just came out of her house as I turned on her street. "Your timings getting better." She said. "Thanks, I try." I ran next to her and then we started walking.

Halfway there she said... "I, uhh, like your shirt. It looks better than your other ones." "Thanks. Noted." Well, Jason of 3 months ago would have instigated, but she tried. I knew what she meant, and this was actually an improvement. She didn't mean my other shirts were ratty, just that she liked this one. I like how she makes me interpret and think about things differently.

When we got to school, we stayed together until we were in the hall. "See you in math." I said. "See you then." She said. Then stared at me for about 3 seconds and gave me a smile. This one was different, it was more than her lips smiling this time. Such as her eyes, that gave me a warm welcome.

I shot her back a smile, then we both went our separate ways. Man, when I think about life now, I don't remember what happened before we met. Was that good? I pondered that as I walked down the hall, until...

"Oww!" Well, I think we all know, but for those who want to check their perceptivity, yes, I ran into yet another person. I was yet again first to stand up, and offered my hand. This time the person took it. It was a girl, deep blue and grey eyes, like a dark fuzzy blue. Pure white skin, and red orange hair. She was a couple inches shorter than Laylis, Hmm, now she's my reference.

She wore grey shorts, about just until her knee, and a black short sleeve shirt. When she was up, she stuck her hand out. "Please don't hurt me!" I yelped. "It's ok. I'm not gonna hurt you. I was just trying to shake your hand." She said. I accepted her handshake, so there are 'girl' girls left in the world after all.

"Hi, my name is Juliet Greenfield." Juliet said. "Jason Smyther. Excuse me, by the way, seems that's becoming a habit." I said. "Why did you think I would hit you?" She asked. "Well, I actually ran into another girl on the first day of school. And she hit me." "I know. I saw it." Why did she ask then?

"Oh, I was just asking to see what you would say." She answered. Whoa, she read my mind. "I knew 'cus you gave me your confused look." Ok, might as well say things out loud, she knows them anyway. "How do you know how I look when I'm confused?" I asked. "Well, I saw how you looked when you were talking to that girl that ran into you." Hmm... Is anyone else getting weird vibes from her?

"Well, I have Homeroom, got to go." I said. Best thing about school, it is an ethical and justifiable excuse. "Oh, we both have Homeroom together. I'm in the back. I've seen you, though." Yup, bet you have. "Would you mind walking me there?" Well, choices. I knew a girl once, completely whack, but now we're friends.

"Ok, this way." We walked to Homeroom together. And once there, I walked to my seat and she walked to hers. When Homeroom was over, I went to go meet with Laylis. "Hi, Laylis." "Hi Jason. How was Homeroom?" "Ok. Spanish?" "Great. It seems you brought a girl with you." "What do you me- " I turn around and there is Juliet...

"Ah! You scared me. Why are you here?" "Care to introduce us?" Laylis asked. In her unhappy tone. "This is Juliet, a girl from Homeroom. This is the girl I ran into. Laylis Juliet, Juliet Laylis. Now why are you here?" Yup, creepy vibes... "I just came to see what you were doing over here. Your next class is in the opposite direction. I also have that class."

Well, Laylis was giving me the look. And there was no time to explain to her that I don't know that she knows this, so I had a choice. Make Laylis mad or Juliet. Who do you think I'm picking? "I know how to get around school, so you don't have to watch me. But thanks." Yup, if you guessed Juliet, your right.

That 'Thanks' was riddled with bitterness. Not usually my style to upset people I just met. But it was time I picked my battles. Poor Juliet looked shocked and Laylis giggled. "I'm sorry..." Juliet said, and then ran away. "Who is she?" Laylis asked. "Some girl I just met today. I don't know why she followed me."

The day went on as usual, and it seemed that she was in every class I had... Well, I might as well say sorry. So after the last class I had that day, Modern World History, I caught her before she left in the hall. "Hey Juliet." She looked at me then tried to run away but I caught her hand.

"I'm sorry for the way I acted earlier today." She turned around and looked me in the eye, she had dried tears on her face, poor girl. I didn't mean to make her cry. Now for the hard part. Explaining my rudeness without playing both sides of the fence. "I acted that way because it was strange to me that you knew every class I had. I didn't think you were in everyone of them."

"I understand." Whoa, that was easy. "There's one way you can make it up to me, though." Oh, there it is. Females, the best creatures on earth at manipulating emotions. "You can walk me home." Hmm. Weird request. "That might be un-do-able, anything else?" "Coffee." "I don't drink that." "They serve tea."

Dang! Pinned! "Okay, meet you there Saturday at one?" I asked, only day I don't have anything happening. "Yeah, Sounds fine. Bye Jason!" "Bye." I let go of her hand and she walked away. With the spring returned to her step, nonetheless. Why me? This girl is creepy and weird. Seems I'm good at finding girls like that.

I have enough friends and girls in my life. And I'm finally at a point in my life where I'm not constantly wondering about things or puzzled. Life is starting to get simple. And I don't need Juliet ruining it. Hopefully, this doesn't last any longer than Saturday. I'm just starting to find my place in life. With Laylis.