Chapter Thirteen

Well, this was weird. The past week it seemed that Laylis was avoiding me. I wondered why, I couldn't think of any. Well, better get dressed. I woke up at 8:00, I had been in my Corner of Wisdom for the whole rest of the week. Thinking why she would avoid me. So, unless she hates me all of a sudden, I didn't understand.

Thankfully, the Corner of Wisdom had my back. I remembered the way she looked at her little brother. Maybe he didn't take it the way she thought he would and got mad. And by extension, were both mad at me. I don't know. But, operation Birthday Save was set into motion! The steps:

1: Wake up at 8:00 AM.

2: Pick up a gift for Nathan, wrap it and put it in my backpack.

3: Go to Coffee meeting with Juliet. Say sorry, stick around for 30 minutes (Laylis said it would start around 1:30).

4: Pedal back home, get my backpack, and head for Laylis's house.

5: Save the day, and me and Laylis's friendship.

Sounded like a pretty good plan to me. If that didn't work, than what would? I took a shower, combed my hair, and dressed in a light blue shirt and blue jeans. It's the happiest attire I have. And headed for the front door after breakfast. "Son, what are you doing?" My dad asked. "Resuming operation Birthday Save." I said.

He threw me a confused stare. "Dad. You're out of the loop. I'll tell you when I get back, after I get back." He threw me another confused look. I left, I kinda felt bad for him. But, if I didn't tell him that, he would have gotten in my way. I pedal all the way to a toy store I know. Yet again, I notice a key flaw in my plan.

I comb the store, looking for a toy for Nathan, but I don't know what he likes. I sat in a bench inside the store and thought. The only time I met the kid was on his play dates. I turned on my phone, only if I could call Laylis. I looked in my photos, one of the only apps on my phone. Browsed through them to the one with me, my mom, and my dad. I miss her so much, she would have known what to do.

As I stare into my mom's eyes in the picture, I notice the one of me, Laylis, and Nathan. That was the first time me and Laylis met and did not fight. The first time I met Nathan. I giggled, you could see the Ice Cream around his mouth. Wait, that's it! Ice Cream!

I pedaled all the way to the Jewelry a few streets away. I could make an Ice Cream charm! I asked the clerk if he could help me make the charm I was thinking of. He made a bracelet charm for me and Nathan, and a necklace charm. I thanked him and paid. A little more expensive than what I wanted to spend, but this was perfect.

I pedaled home, put the three boxes in my backpack and pedaled to the Café. I picked a table and waited. It turned 1:00 when she walked in, perfectly on time. Did she realize that this was a Coffee Meeting, because she was dressed in a sundress. It's not even hot, I can add that to my hints to find out her intent.

"Hi Jason!" She said. "Hi." I replied. She sat down at my table. She rested her face on the center of her palm, as if examining me. She tried to make eye contact, and when she did, I felt her underlying intent, not aware of what it was. Eye contact was added to my list of hints. She stared straight into my eyes for five seconds. And I could not take it no longer.

"Um, so, what are you ordering?" I asked, then looked at the menu above the counter, freeing my eyes from her gaze. "I don't know. What are you getting?" She countered. Well, show up to a Café without knowing what you want, this could be awhile. And that's bad. Time to make some choices to turn the tide of this meeting.

"I'm getting the Green tea, I don't know if you drink tea, But you might like it." I said. Take the bait... "Ok, I'll try it." Yes! Okay, I checked the time, and it was 1:09. Time to bust out the sorry and leave. They gave us the tea, and I paid. Yikes, these people might not kill me, but my wallet.

I waited for her to make the first move, but she twirled the tea with a spoon and continued to stare at me. Is she half hawk and didn't tell me? "Nice day, isn't it?" I asked, cliché question. "It is a nice day." She said with a smile. I grabbed my cup and took a sip of my tea. Okay, that didn't work. Time to get frank.

"Juliet, I want to say I'm sorry, I" did "didn't mean to be rude, and I hope we can become fellow" Strangers "classmates." "I know, you did meet me for Coffee. You're obviously a gentleman." Thank you! Someone noticed! "I just want to know more about you." Okay, where are you going with this?

"Like friends?" I asked, this is not discrete, nor my style, but I don't want to play games anymore. "Yeah," Okay, acceptable. "or maybe more." My stomach sank. I really didn't like her that way. In fact, I wanted her to leave. "Oh... I'm sorry, Juliet. I'm not looking for a girlfriend. I bet you're a" Weird "great person, but I don't like you that way. Maybe we can" never "become friends?"

Her face dropped. She stopped trying to resume eye contact but I picked up where she left off. "Oh, I'm sorry." She said, staring into the tea. "Excuse me." She left the table and headed for the bathroom. It seemed she started crying, because everyone in the Café had heard it. Including me.

Everyone started to stare at me, until the man at the counter asked me what I did. "Uh, nothing." I replied. "Sir, would you mind leaving? We'll repay you for what you spent on the tea." Well, color me embarrassed. I felt like I was wearing shorts, up on a stage, performing "I'm A Humongous Jerk" for everyone in the Café. The right thing to do was to leave.

"Ok, sorry, sir." He repaid me and I left. Poor Juliet, man, maybe she's a little too girly. Wait, did that sound sexist? No time to think, it was 1:45, I was 15 minutes late but I'll still make it, I hope. I pedalled as fast as I could. Got my backpack at home, and started for Laylis's house.

I ringed the doorbell, and waited. Laylis answered. "Who is it?" "A dumb friend late for a party." She opened the door and smiled. "I'm so happy you're here! Nathan will be so happy!" She told me to wait and closed the door. She brought Nathan to open the door. And he answered.

"Who is it?" He asked. "A friend hoping he's not late for the party." He opened the door and screamed my name. "Jason! Jason! Jason! You're here!" He shouted. "Why wouldn't I be? I have to be here for my best buds birthday!" I leaned down to hug him and everyone said aww.

Except Laylis. She gave me an approving look, and a big smile. "Isn't that your friend?" Asked one of Laylis's aunts. "Yes, he is." She answered. They welcomed me in and we all continued the party. It was gift opening time, and Nathan opened his last present.

"That's all the presents! Thanks everybody for coming!" Said Laylis's mom. "Wait. I have one for him." I bent down, opened my backpack, and pulled out the two bracelets. "Open it." I said, giving Nathan one. He opened it and put it on. "It's a bracelet!" Nathan cheered. "In remembrance of our first encounter!" "Ice Cream! It's you and me and Lissy with Ice Cream!" He shouted in joy.

I opened mine and put it on. "They match! That's so cute!" Said one of Laylis's aunts again. "Yeah, they're nice." Said Laylis. "Happy you thought so," I said digging into my backpack. "This one looks like it would fit you great." I got in back of her and put the necklace on her. "Thanks, Jason." She said.

"Happy birthday, Nathan!" I said, but everyone joined in after to cheer it again. And I joined in. I felt at home with them. Such nice people, and I was happy I was able to do this. When the party finally ended, before I left, Laylis caught me. "The bracelets, and the necklace, nice idea." "Thanks, I thought you and him might like it." I said with a smile.

"Well, safe riding, and goodnight." "Goodnight to you too." I said as I began cycling back home. My dad saw me when I came in the house. "Why are you home so late?" He asked. I was about to explain when... "Ya know what, never mind. Goodnight, son." I don't know why he said that. I was going to explain, maybe he noticed my smile.

I hadn't smiled that much since my mom was here. I went upstairs and plopped down on my bed. I folded my arms behind my head and thought about it all. Operation Birthday Save was a success. And everything with me and Laylis are fine. I could worry about Juliet, but why?

What's the point? I'm happy, and I'll carry this newfound joy as long as I can. No use wasting it to think about the bad. I told the truth to Juliet and got kicked out of a Café. I did nothing wrong, and I won't feel so. Tonight, I sleep with a new outlook on life. A more optimistic one.

But how will I? Why clock out when I feel so alive?