Chapter Twenty

Ah! The weekends. A time to relax and take your time. It was Saturday, so I decided to sleep in. Just to be waken up by my phone. I picked it up and answered. I didn't know who it was, but I only knew two people who would call me regularly, so I took a guess. "Hello?" "What are you doing, Jason?" It's Laylis, we have a winner, but no prizes.

"Actually, you just woke me." "Well, it's about time then, it's 10:45." Hmm. That late, well, not a record by far. "I'm guessing you want something?" I ask. "What? I just wanted to know what you're doing. I know you have nothing better to do in your spare time." Ouch. "I do so!"

"What then?" I'm gonna have to think of something. What do I do in my spare time? I used to sit in my Corner of Wisdom and think but that's gone. "So, I'm guessing you have nothing to do today. Wanna do something?" I ask, diverting the attention. "I guess. I was waiting for you to come to me."

"Well, let's try something new." I say, thinking. "Why don't you come to me." "Then what?" "We'll find out." When I said 'We'll', I meant it. I didn't know what to do, but to get dressed. I took a shower, combed hair, and put on clothes. For sake of word conservation and an end to repetition. I wore blue pants and a white and grey striped shirt. I say this because, you guessed it, I only have jeans and shirts.

When I finished, Laylis was waiting at the door. "Hello?" I answered. I knew It was her, but why not. "It's me, Laylis." She said in a Uh-Duh tone. I opened the door and she walked in. "So, what are we doing?" "Oh, I'm good. Thanks for asking." "Hey, You didn't ask me." "Well, anyways. I don't know." I said, completely honest.

She looked at me confused. "Why did you want me to come over then?" She asked. "Here. I have an idea." I said, and I did have one. "Why don't we go to one place that we know, and explore around it." "That sounds interesting." She said. "Where would we go?" I had to think... I got it!

"Let's go to the Wal-Mart and explore from there." I stated. So, we started walking to the Wal-Mart. In hindsight, this sounded fun. I always wanted to find out what places were near ones that I already knew. But walking there was so boring... "Hmm. This sounded so much funner in my head." I divulge. "Yeah, it did."

Then more silence. "Ya know, these are way more fun when we talk through the walking part. So I'll start." I state. "So, favorite candy? Mine would have to be... Nerds." "Whatchamacallits." "Really?" I say, staring at her as we walk. "What?" "Nothing. Your turn." We continue to walk in silence for two more minutes when she responds.

"What's your favorite movie? Mine is The Labyrinth." "Actually, I don't watch a lot of movies. I don't really have a favorite. Favorite game? Mine would be... I'd have to say Minecraft, it's the most versatile game I know." "Dead Island." She says, in thought.

"Hmm." I reply. The whole walk there we keep asking each other questions and exchange answers. When we get there, we go to some of the neighboring stores like Dollar Store, Sally's Hair Salon, Payless, and lastly go to Pulp so Laylis can get her Very Berry Smoothie.

It went well, nothing special. And Sunday breezed by. Another week, another five days of school. Another day with Laylis. Life was good. I woke up Monday. Got my clothes, grey pants and a black and white striped shirt. Did my usual routine. Ate breakfast then headed for Laylis's.

I ran up to her, we started walking to school. At school, we separated in the hall, then met up at Math. The only thing that could have gone wrong was Juliet noticing me and Laylis. So after all my classes, I went to check on her. Seems I had no need to.

When I found her she was talking to another guy, and that made me happy, she was not my problem anymore. Plus, she found someone. This could tell a lot about her personality, but I won't rag. I went on about my business. Me and Laylis walked home from school. We called each other later that day, then said goodnight.

Repeated the process until Thursday, when we went with her mom to go grocery shopping. That day I found my favorite kind of smoothie. Mango. Something about that Mango Tango that made me happy. Then, on Friday, we had a playdate with Nathan. The whole time he teased Laylis about me and her.

And I also discovered my favorite type of Ice Cream. Blue Moon. At the end of the playdate, I scheduled another date for Saturday, that went fine. We talked, we ate. I wanted more Ice Cream. So we got some. We just had a good time. Then, on Sunday, I just hanged around at her house.

It seems like my life is very steady, and I like that. Me and Laylis. No, Laylis. Funny how she changed everything. My life is the same, as when we were friends, but never a dull moment with her.

So, it seems like that's my life. Now, I'm just waiting to see what happens next. But, if nothing ever changed, I could live with it. And best of all, happily.