Chapter Nineteen

I walked into Laylis's house, wondering. How would she look? Did I dress right? Too flashy? Too Lounge? I only had one person to confirm these questions with before I went to Laylis's... "Dad. What did you wear for your first date with mom?" I'm starting to think I put just a bit too much trust in my dad. But it's about time I started not blaming him for the outcome, I asked.

"Well," he said thinking. "I don't recall. Look, it's not about how you look, it's about what you say." "Dad. I don't think that's completely true." "Yes, it's not. Sorry son, it's been awhile." I went back upstairs to see my choices. And, well, I liked jeans. 'Cus that's all I had.

I thought. What looks, happy, nice, inviting. What looks romantic? I can only think of what mom would have said. She would know what I should have worn, said, all those things. But, I know she's giving me her blessing, so, time to wing it. With only jeans, The shirt was key.

I checked each section of my closet. It was in four parts, as you can guess for the seasons. My mom started it, I continued it. I looked. There was a blue, light blue, navy blue, black, grey, silver, brown, red, dark red, dark green, and white shirt for my one colored shirts.

For my striped shirts, I had black and blue, grey and black, navy blue and blue, light blue and white, white and grey, and green and red. For my last type of shirts I only had three plaid shirts: Black, grey and white. Blue, white, and grey. And Black, blue, and white.

I chose the black, blue and white one. I chose black jeans. After this, I need to go shopping for some clothes. My style has no flavor. I did my hair, the same as always. I always wore contacts. Never glasses. I think they make me stand out too much, plus, I don't like going to doctors. Including eye doctors.

As I reached the door my dad told me to wait. "Here, son." He said readjusting my collar. "I'll be fine, dad." "Ok, go get 'em! Tiger!" "Uhh, dad. Please don't say that. It's just weird." "What? I think it's fine. Anyways, see you later." "See you later too." And now I'm at Laylis's.

She was in a green dress. Had a different hairstyle. And weren't wearing her glasses. Did I under dress? "Hi, Laylis." I said, in the softest tone. Just to get her attention.

"Hi, Jason." I said trying not to look nervous again.

"Ready to go?" I asked. She looked ready. I was expecting a pat down to tell the truth. Not by the dad, but by the mom. She was... Something.

"Yeah, I'm ready." I replied. I noticed that Jason kept shooting nervous glances at my mom who was standing in the kitchen doorway staring at him. "Uh... bye mom?"

"Have fun, honey. Watch yourself, Mr.Smyther."

"I will, ma'am." I said, trying to sound trustworthy.

When we finally left and closed the door, we started walking down the street, heading towards the diner. When I was imagining this date, I thought there would be a little more... talking, maybe? Most of the walk was silent and awkward until he finally said something after the diner came into view.

"McAllister's Pizza! The best diner I know." I say, trying to start some conversation.

"Yeah, I love it. Their pizza is really good. The owner makes it all himself so it takes a bit longer than most places. It's worth the wait though."

"Yeah," I reply. "I didn't know you owned any dresses, you look... Beautiful in them."

Okay, yeah. I admit that I was waiting for a compliment. Usually I don't like them and sometimes they even irritate me but this time... I tried to look pretty. I was hoping for some sort of recognition.