Chapter Twenty Eight

Jessica's POV

I woke up in the middle of the night, shaking. My skin was itchy and hot, I was sweating profusely and my clothes were stuck to my skin. My body was burning as my stomach tightened painfully. At first I was confused and scared as to why my body was reacting like this but then I remembered. After a female wolf is marked, she goes into heat every month. Crap! Why now I thought. When a wolf is in heat every unmated wolf is attracted and drawn to her. I shut my eyes trying to fall back asleep when I heard commotion outside.

"Get out!" I heard what I recognized to be Dylan's voice shouting. He then came into room after locking the door, turned to me. "Everyone in the house can smell your heat baby. I had to send all the males out of the house." He said climbing on the bed.

He then proceeded to put his arm around me which caused me to let out a terrifying scream. Only then did I remember that if another person touches you besides your mate, while in heat it cause excruciating pain.

"Stop! Stop!" I pleaded as he kept his hold on me.

This got him even more furious. In his head I was his mate and I was not supposed to react to his touch like this.

"You ungrateful bitch. I am trying to help you but no you'll suffer." He screamed, unchaining me and dragging me out of the room by my hair.

He opened a door and began dragging me down a flight of stairs, to the basement. He carried me over and handcuffed me to the wall. Dylan then appeared in front of me holding a whip. I closed my eyes and grit my teeth as he began. He hit me over and over but it was if I was numb. It was when he landed a hit directly on my stomach; my body was engulfed in excruciating pain. My voice was stuck in my throat. I couldn't even scream. I looked down to see blood dripping down my thighs. No! This couldn't be happening. I couldn't lose my baby I thought as I burst into tears. I opened my eyes to see that I was alone. Sobs wracked through my body as tears continued streaming down my face.

Then ,all of a sudden, as if we were in a movie, a large midnight black wolf came barreling down the stairs. As the wolf hit the last step he shifted and came running in my direction.

"Zac!!" I shouted as he reached me and broke the restricting handcuffs. He pulled me into his arms hugging me tightly.

"Zac I think I lost the baby!!" I sobbed, more tears falling from my eyes.

"We'll deal with that when we get back baby. I need to get you out of here first." He said lifting me bridal style and sprinting back upstairs.

The scent of blood and rotting flesh was the first thing I smelt but Zac rushed out of the house not allowing me to smell or see anymore.

Zac sprinted across the field to the SUV when all of a sudden he dropped to his knees, me still in his arms.

"Zac! What's wrong?" I asked as I looked up to see his face scrunched up into a painful expression.

I climbed down from his arms only to have him fall forward. I held him up with my body and it was only then I realized the blood on his side. He was shot! I looked in the direction the shot came from and saw Dylan running into the woods, dragging Lucy behind him. Lucy turned around at the last minute and mouthed 'I'm sorry' just before disappearing into the woods. I turned back to Zac to see his eyes rolled back into his head. I laid him on the floor as I looked around for someone to help me.

"Daniel!!" I shouted at him as I spotted him coming out of the house.

His eyes widen as he saw Zac bleeding lying on the ground. He immediately came to my side and lifted Zac onto his shoulder. We ran to the SUV and I hopped into the back. Daniel laid Zac on the seat with his head on my lap. He then tossed me a cloth that I used to hold against the wound to hopefully slow down the blood loss. Daniel then climbed into the driver's seat and sped off in the direction of the pack house.

"Hold on baby. You're gonna be safe okay. You can't leave me." I sobbed as I stroked Zac's hair and I pressed my lips to his forehead.

The longest few minutes of my life passed before we arrived at the pack house. Before the vehicle had come to a complete stop, Daniel was out of the vehicle and held Zac in his arms, running into the house, with me right on his heels.

"Alpha!"

"Oh my God. The Alpha's hurt!"

"Luna! Luna! What's going on?"

That was all I heard as we entered but it went through one ear and came out the next. The only thing that was going through my head was making sure my mate was okay.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

After 5 hours of tears, headaches and worrying I was waiting next to the bed that Zac was on, waiting for him to wake up. Zac's family had just left after checking up on him. Apparently the bullet that he was shot with contained silver, which was the reason why he passed out. Silver can't kill a werewolf but it could damage us pretty badly. The doctor told us that he managed to get the bullet out before it could do any heavy damage, however, it would leave a scar and that he should wake up in an hour or two.

Also, while Zac was in surgery, Dr. Greene, the doctor who did my pregnancy test helped me change and cleaned my bruises from the whipping. She also did a check up on the baby. Unfortunately, I had a miscarriage when Dylan hit my stomach. After hearing the news, I ran out of her office crying. I ran straight to the room where Zac was except he was still in surgery. Instead I found his parents and after explaining to them what happened I cried into Zac's mom arms until they said that Zac was out of surgery and we could see him. All of that led me to now, waiting for him to wake up

~Half hour later~

Zac's POV

I awoke to feel my body stiff as a board. I groaned as I turned my head to the side.

"Zac?" I heard the voice of an angel call. I opened my eyes only to reclose it when I was blinded by a bright light. I reopened my eyes to see the angel standing above me.

"Who are you?" I asked her.

"W-What?" She asked taking a step back as her eyes began to water.

I instantly regretted it seeing the tears in my beautiful mate's eyes.

"I'm kidding baby!" I said chuckling.

"You idiot!" She said slapping my chest as I smiled up at her beautiful face.