Chapter 2: The Golden Girl

Yellow and brown colored leaves tumbled off of the side of the road as Luna Goodwin drove by in her cherry red Aston Martin. Her golden locks were concealed by a white scarf. Teetering on the bridge of her nose was her oversized, black, Saint Laurent sunglasses. Like most days in New Brooks, the sun stayed hidden behind the thick mass of the gray storm clouds but that didn't discourage Luna from flaunting her new designer glasses. Practicality, was the one word Luna threw out of the dictionary when it came to style. Instead of wearing something that offered more protection from the brisk fall weather she wore thin, leather gloves, and a red peacoat.

In every other part of the state of Virginia people were experiencing warm temperatures that belonged solely to the summer months. But the tiny town of New Brooks, which resided in the northern region of the state, always had a rather dead feeling in the air. The temperatures were cool, the ever conflicted sky bounced between white and gray- never blue- and the days always seemed to be shorter. It was a town that seemed to be ruled by the night.

Luna glanced at her clock radio, the numbers flashed repeatedly as if to remind her that she only had five minutes before the school gates would close- and she was ten minutes behind schedule. Peeking at her mirror, to make sure there was nobody behind her, Luna gripped her steering wheel tightly and accelerated down the road. Her phone buzzed repeatedly as worried text messages from her friends flooded her inbox. Luna Goodwin had never been late to school, or anywhere, for that matter. She had impeccable timing and refused to acknowledge that being fashionably late was an actual thing. Being late, she thought, was only an act of a careless person and she could not afford to be careless.

The little arrow on her dashboard flew past every large number until she was speeding at ninety miles per hour. Her hands moved agilely as she navigated the car around each sharp curve. The roads from her house weren't in a particular good shape, Luna lived in the middle of a forest and the construction workers refused to travel that far into no man's land unless something drastic happened- like an earthquake. And since earthquake had yet to happen, Luna was stuck swerving around potholes and giant cracks in the asphalt. It was amazing that she had yet to crash but then again, crashing was another imperfection that she didn't have time for. The gatekeeper sent her a furious glare as she rolled into the student parking lot of New Brooks High. A large, mischievous grin broke out on her face she parked in her usual spot. People, ranging from close friends to mild acquaintances, corralled around her car before she had the chance to get out. Luna pulled off her scarf, freeing her golden curls from their bounds and put away her sunglasses.

"I thought you were going to be late," Jane cocked a brow, and held out her hand to help Luna out of her car.

"You have such little faith in me, Janey, darling. When have I ever been late?" Luna's voice was sweet but assertive. She could make a whole room stop and listen by just uttering one sentence.

"There's a first time for everything," Jane reminded Luna as she gathered her books.

Luna simply rolled her eyes. Waving and smiling like a true princess, she wormed her way through the crowd. Jane followed behind her, elbowing anyone in the rib that got in their way. They approached the steps of New Brooks High with a large crowd following behind. The high school wasn't large, it was just one elongated brick building, with single glass tier on top for the science classes. The rest of the student body was already at their lockers or in their homerooms. Luna's grin widened when she saw Will, her boyfriend of three years, standing by her locker.

Will and Luna had been friends since kindergarten. They met on their first day when Ms. Greene, forced them to pair up and work on a coloring book. Will had lost his pack of crayons and Luna let him borrow hers, thus beginning a ten year friendship.