Chapter 12: Birthday Begins

Luna lied awake in her queen sized bed, cocooned with three large white blankets, as the sun gradually made an appearance above the treetops. As the sun lifted to the top of the sky, Luna noticed the shaking of her hands had stopped and the tension fled her body. She felt like a child again that night. After Twyla bidded her a goodnight and fled to the confines of her new room, Luna tried to stay outside for just a little longer. But in those few seconds left alone she felt a strange fear creep into her bones, one she hadn't had since she was very young- the fear of the dark. She checked her closet and under her bed twice before allowing herself to lie down on the bed. There many moments of precious sleep she wasted by subconsciously rehashing her newfound knowledge of monsters. The only real difference between the monsters that plagued Luna's mind as a child and the ones she faced now was the simple fact that a barricade of blankets would not stop them from getting her.

With a dull ache in her heart, Luna reminded herself that it was her birthday. She was eighteen. If only her birthday had come two weeks earlier, she would have been jumping up and down with joy and happily tearing into silver and gold wrapped presents. Now, she just wanted to get the day over with. There were two many obstacles she would have to face to make the day even remotely enjoyable like her sister and her freaky aunt and grandmother- the three of them were definitely to receive looks and not the good kind that Luna usually pulled. She didn't really know how her mother would act today, she was learning, that she really didn't know much about her mother at all. And then, there was Jane. Jane who had always proven to be a good friend when needed but her recent adamant curiosity was sure to give Luna a headache or two. Will was the only person she could think of that she actually wanted to see. She knew that no matter what happened later that day, he would be by her side. And for now, that was enough motivation to push her out of bed.

The sound of crackling static and mumbled thoughts entered her mind as two pairs of footsteps approached her door. From the parts she managed to catch, Luna recognized the person as Deena, the person beside her though, remained a mystery. The tension returned to her body as a knock sounded on the door. Forcing her body to obey her mind, Luna took a deep breath and told Deena the door was open. The door flung upon a moment later revealing the elder woman in a pale pink button up dress and a embroidered apron. Beside her, stood half exposed hunched over figure. Luna couldn't see the person's face but she did see the steel staff of her Grandmother's cane.

"I'll speak to you later, my friend." Her grandmother said to Deena before disappearing down the hall.

Luna felt slightly miffed by the lack of attention her Grandmother gave her. She hadn't had a moment alone with the old hag since the the trio arrived yesterday- and she didn't necessarily want to meet her- but a simple happy birthday was customary.

"Look at you," Mused Deena as she placed a silver bubble dish on top of Luna's nightstand.

"Oh god!" Deena then exclaimed when she stepped away from the dish and got a good look at Luna's haggard face. "My oh my, dear, time has not been good to you."

"Deena!" Luna cried, outraged. "I didn't get a good night of sleep. It's not like I turned eighteen and suddenly became a hag! It's just another year older."

"Another year closer to death, if you ask me." Deena grunted.

A heavy sigh fell from Luna's lips as her shoulders sagged. She didn't expect Deena to be cheery or help her mood improve but she also didn't expect the bitter old woman to make it any worse. It was her birthday for goodness sake, she deserved a break!

"Closer to death? Well, I can't argue with that," Luna tone turned dark as forbidden memories of the previous day flashed before her mind.

Though Luna wasn't looking at Deena, she could feel the old woman's probing stare. Deena had always been good at keeping her nose out of the Goodwin's business, most likely because she didn't give a damn about Luna's torrent love life or Celeste's campaign plans but there were rare situations where something tragic was brought up and it seemed like Deena wanted to say something. But in those instances, she never would. It was completely bizarre to Luna because in any other situation Deena would say the first thing that came to mind with no inhibitions.