Chapter 25: Heart to Heart

As the sky faded to a collage of soft pinks and purples, Alix led the group to her home. It was a monumental steel structure with tall glass windows- there was an alien-like feel to the building, everything was in a monochromatic color-scheme and even the people seemed to operate like robots- their movements brash and abrupt. The elevator ride was a bit awkward as no one said a word, except for Will's initial surprise when Alix noticed he pushed the button for the penthouse suite. After that, Alix casually checked herself out in the reflection of the metal walls, while Luna clutched the steel railing for dear-life and Will whistled along to the instrumental version of what a wonderful world, blasting through the speakers. Twyla, however, stood in the back corner, staring at the screen of her phone. She knew she should call Xavier but every time her thumb went to the green call button, she retracted it and bit the metal loop in her lip. He was better off without them, she thought.

But...

There was a slight ache in the place where her heart resided whenever she thought of never seeing him again. Twyla didn't really understand because she knew the heart was an emotionless organ and all feelings came from her brain but damn, she could feel it contract upon thinking about his name. She hated it. She hated not knowing what to do or how to feel- she had only met him a few days ago after all, and that was not a healthy time to get attached to someone. Despite all that she knew though, that didn't stop herself from missing him. There was like some invisible line that tethered them together and she didn't understand it nor did she want to.

Twyla's thumb was still hovering over the call button twenty minutes later, as her legs dangled over the edge of the balcony. Alix had whisked both Will and Luna away the second they entered the penthouse. She claimed the two of them would get eaten alive in a supernatural club. But Twyla didn't see how a change of clothes could fix anything, the only supernatural creatures who ate people alive were vampires and they could care less about clothing.

Vampires.

Twyla sighed and looked back down at the phone.

"You're giving me a headache." Her head whipped around to see Alix leaning against the doorway.

"Call him," Alix walked over and placed a hand on Twyla's shoulder. Twyla tensed at the comforting gesture.

"He shouldn't be involved in this Alix. I wouldn't have even involved you if I didn't have a choice."

The New York skyline glittered as apartment lights slowly flickered on and the neon signs glowed brighter the darkness. It was beautiful and a little overwhelming to know that there were so many people in one place. Somewhere lurking in plain sight was an ominous villain who was trying to kill them. She had been so sure it was the Delphi. Both Alix and Uncle Leo said they were crazy conspiracists who were obsessed with the Moon Goddesses- they dedicated their entire lives to killing them. But they had the book, and whoever took her family needed that book.

It was only then, in the midst of her musings did Twyla remember what her mother had said on her first day back in New Brooks:

"The Moon Goddesses were twins you see, and they had a fondness for anyone who shared the connection that they had, so everytime a set of twin witches are born they are gifted with powers from both the Light and Dark side of the moon. They are more powerful than the other witches that exist and because of that there are those who wish to use them or kill them. Those who hunt them down trying to kill them are afraid that their magic will awaken the dormant hunters and all supernatural creatures will be doomed or to put it simply they are jealous because of their own shortcomings. Those who wish to use them are very greedy individuals are want to harness their powers as weapons for their own benefits."