Chapter 17: Uncle Leo

"Well that's a waste of blood," Xavier whistled, stealing the attention of the girls.

He jumped down from the pile of rubble, his feet made no sound as he landed. Twyla and Luna could only stare at him as he strolled over to blood-painted message. The blood, which was still wet, dripped onto his finger and disappeared into the wet cavern of his mouth. A moment of brief bliss flickered over his features before his lips thinned into a hard line.

Turning back to the girls he said, "This blood is only an hour old. It's a mixture of three different blood types that share slight similarities, probably family. And judging by how high the words are, I'm guessing the person was a witch or warlock- they could fly."

A half-hysterical whimper rose from Luna's lips, as she buried her head into her hands. Her knees buckled, dropping her body onto the floor in a heap of shaking limbs. All she could think about was her mother being toured and possibly even killed as some madman drew blood from her. She could see her now, pressed against the wall, begging for her life to remain in tact as she waited for her unconscious daughters to awake and help her. They hadn't woken up though, and now she was gone. Just three days ago, she had been lounging in the parlor with her mother- the same parlor that was smashed to pieces with blood stains on the wall. The two of them had been rearranging bouquets while commenting on the new highlights Mrs. Haverstock opted to get in her hair. It had been such insignificant moment at the time but Luna would have done anything to get it back.

She was a normal girl. As normal as anyone could be: she watched YouTube tutorials and ate pizza by the tons and wore cashmere sweaters, tucked into her skin tight jeans. She played games on her iPhone and had a secret shrine dedicated to Harry Styles. Sure, there were things about her that certainly reached an above normal level but nothing that breached the supernatural sort. And now, she was just forced to accept that this was a part of her life. How was that fair? Twyla, of course, took everything in stride. Luna didn't miss the way her sister's eyes narrowed and shoulders stiffened but otherwise she remained untouched, like a real life ice queen. Lucky her, thought Luna. Even in her emotional aura there was a void, a tinge of annoyance, and a pinch of fear, but mostly nothing.

"I'm sorry," said Xavier. With a flick of Twyla's wrist, Xavier's body was thrown to the floor. A crack resonated as his head smacked against the hardwood.

Twyla reached out. Luna thought she was going to grab her hand but she didn't, instead her palm began to glow. Luna was so overwhelmed with the cryptic message and strange vampire in their parlor, she didn't realize her body was suspended in air. Her eyes darted to the mound of broken glass on the floor as she braced herself to fall at any time. She was well-accustomed with Newton's Law of Gravity, what goes up must go down. It made sense that Twyla didn't follow the laws of Gravity though, she didn't follow any law. Her head felt dizzy, black spots appeared in her vision. It was just too much! Her mind couldn't form a coherent thought.

Twyla flexed her hand. A force, almost like an invisible hand pushed Luna back onto her feet. The second she was standing upright again, her knees began to buckle. Twyla clenched her fist. Her knuckles whitened as she tried to keep her sister from falling over. She didn't need Luna passing out on her- she had enough to worry about already. Even though Twyla kept a stone mask over her face, she was freaking out inside. Nyx and Nana were gone; they were all alone.

"Please calm down, Luna." Twyla said. She could see the rising hysteria in Luna's eyes.

"Calm down? How can you ask that of me? They took everything!"

"Yes," Twyla said through gritted teeth.

"Then why are you so calm! Mom could be dead!" Luna screamed.