Chapter 23: Grin of Death

The cars were invisible in the night, making it look like headlights were simply floating on the highway. Luna barely noticed as she crossed each state border, her attention never wavered from the road in front of her and the monotonous voice of Siri, as it told her where to go. She knew if she were to give herself a moment to think, she'd start hyperventilating and drive the car off of a cliff. So, she kept herself in check by counting the number of cars that passed by with a headlight out and tapping her fingers on the rim of her steering wheel. So far, her distractions had worked- that was until, Will decided they needed to actually talk about it.

"You're unbelievable, Luna." Will was slumped back in his chair, his hands massaging his temples.

"That seems to be the new motto of my life: unbelievable," she honked her horn as the traffic slowly rolled to a stop. Without the wind howling in their ears and Siri's strange lull in directions, there a notable silence in the car.

"Did that little trip to the past screw with your brain, Lu? Now isn't the time to be making jokes," Will turned around in his chair, his eyes pleading with Luna, but she continued to sit forward, hands at ten and two on the wheel.

"Please, then, enlighten me! What is it that I'm supposed to do? Am I supposed to mope like you are or be incredibly nonchalant like Twyla is? I don't know what to do, Will, but I know I don't want to talk about it or think about it. I just want my mom back." She bit down on her lip as her eyes began to burn.

"And what are you going to do once you get your mom back? She lied to you, your entire life and just when you think you knew the truth, turns out she lied to you once again."

Luna already knew how bad the whole situation was, she didn't need Will to rehash it all for her. But, the truth was, she didn't know what she was going to do if or when she saw her mom again. "We'll cross that bridge once we get there, right now saving her is all that matters."

Shaking his head, Will flopped back into his seat and crossed his arms. "You're a Goddess, Luna." Normally, when Will said things like that his voice would be light and teasing with a flirtatious edge, now his voice just sounded heavy. "You were alive back in the 1800s and probably a lot earlier than that too."

Her hands tightened on the wheel. "Will-" She warned but he cut her off.

"I get it, you might not want to talk about it but I have to or else I'm going to go crazy. I keep struggling between being excited that my girlfriend is an all knowing and all powerful immortal being, and just being scared."

She flinched, "I-I'm not all knowing and especially not all powerful." Her breath shudder in her chest, "And I would never hurt you, Will. I'm sorry about what happened at your house but I promise that will never happen again. I'll learn to control it."

His eyes shuddered to a close as Xavier's words replayed in his head. Rule number one: never fall in love with a witch. "I'm not scared that you'll witch-out and zap me or anything. I'm scared you'll leave me."

Luna looked over at Will, her resistance crumbled at the sound of his broken voice. He was hunched in his seat, his honey colored curls looked like a gold halo in the pale light of the headlights. Her heart shuddered upon feeling the devastation that wallowed within him. She tried so hard to block his feelings and thoughts but she could have picked up on how he felt even without her powers, they had been attuned with each other since kindergarten. Any pain he felt, was her pain as well.

"I love you William Haverstock," Will slowly brought his eyes up to Luna's. "It doesn't matter who I was before or who I loved before, what matters is that in this life I'm Luna Goodwin and I love you."