Chapter 14: They Are Here

The Goodwin Manor was no stranger to parties over the decades. It had hosted a multitude of events ranging from over the top children's birthday parties, filled to the brim with screaming toddlers and party animals- the balloon and real kind alike, to swanky cocktail parties with New Brooks finest. By eight, the sky had turned to a deep blue, almost black with edges curling with soft pinks and purples. The stars were almost invisible due to the gathering clouds but the moon remained a dominant present throughout the night. The guests arrived in droves, each girl was primped and primed in floor-length glittering dresses that belonged Miss America pageants. The boys looked similar in their custom black tux uniforms but one in particular stood out from the crowd. His royal blue tux, was cut from satin, and accompanied by a silver tie with a diamond pin. His honey gold curls were slicked back, revealing the full affect of his sparkling blue eyes to any and all unsuspecting women. Girls blushed as he passed by. Raising their clutches to cover their mouths, they gushed over his chiseled features. Many smiled at him, hoping to see a glimpse of his dimples but their hopes were in vain, for William Haverstock was too worried to smile.

He ghosted across the marble floors, sliding in out of the gaps between people. His eyes darted from face to face, hoping to see Luna but she was nowhere in sight. It had only been a day seen he had seen her last but it felt like a year, or longer. He tried to text her during the day but she remained silent. Stress gnawed at him as he thought of the haunted glint in her eye and hollow tone in her voice. Being a witch didn't seem like the worst thing to happen, it was the strangest thing but Will actually thought it was cool. She was like a real life superhero but that also included all of the internal suffering. Luna was so caught up with her vision of the perfect life, Will was worried she would pass up the opportunity to become something more than just another New Brook's inhabitant that couldn't escape.

"Will!"

He froze upon hearing the familiar voice. Turning around after a moment of hesitation, he saw Jane maneuvering her way through the crowd while balancing in platform heels and a floor length scarlet ball gown. Whereas Will had been blowing up Luna's phone, Jane had been blowing up his with messages about Luna. Apparently she wasn't answering Jane's calls either and Jane was pissed. That much could be seen from the scowl on her ruby painted lips.

"What is going on? Both you and Luna have been ignoring me for the past two days!" Though she looked enraged, there was a tinge of sadness coloring her tone.

Will found himself feeling guilty as he gazed upon Jane. Very easily he could have found himself in her position if he and Luna weren't so close. The three of them were supposed to be the three musketeers. There wasn't a more envied group in New Brooks then them. Many people claimed to be friends with the trio but they were not a part of the group. They weren't invited to Gino's for Friday night pizza or movie theater marathon- those people were simply spectators to their lives. Will knew things were different with him and Luna, because they loved each other but he had also thought Jane belonged with them. Now, he wasn't sure.

Despite his earlier beliefs, Will could see that things were changing.

"You texted me?" Will feigned ignorance. He fished his phone out of his pocket, when the screen illuminated he put on his best surprised mask and said, "I'm so sorry, Janey. I've been helping Luna these past two days, she's not feeling well."

The glimmering chandeliers above their heads dimmed until only a faint glow lit the room. The chatter faded into silence as a hidden orchestra began to play unknown but beautiful nonetheless symphony. Everyone's eyes slipped over to the grand staircase where two figures appeared. The first was most notably Luna, in a shimmering diamond gown that hugged her petite figure. Her golden curls piled on top of her head and held in place with a small tiara. In the past, she had always been jokingly referred to as New Brooks' princess but in that moment she really looked like one. The girl who stood beside her was not easily identified. She wore a long sleeve black dress that clung to her subtle curves, with silver beading. Her ebony locks cascaded down her shoulders in sleek waves. Unlike Luna, she didn't have that all-American beauty look, her features were too sharp, almost biting. It took a moment for Will to recognize who she was at first, that was until he looked at her silver eyes. The same eyes that haunted many unpleasant memories of his girlfriend's past. Will didn't know what he expected Twyla to look like, he had never imagined it before. She did not compare to Luma, he knew that, but his continued to slide over to her nonetheless as the two descended down the stairs. Whispers erupted from the crowd when the rest of guests finally discovered the identity of the second girl.