Chapter 15: Hidden Memories

August 4th, 1926

A smattering of rain poured upon the windshield of the small, black Chrysler as it scrambled up the mud-ridden path. The previously white rimmed tires turned brown as dirt and grime coated the surface. The driver growled under his breath as he stomped his foot on the gas and plowed forwards, whereas he had reached his wit's end the two passengers in the back remained perfectly stoic. Their pale, and tragic faces were wiped clean of all emotions. The girl in the strapless white dress, wore a pair of black silk gloves that reached above her elbows and a wide brimmed hat that sloped in the front, hiding one of her two sapphire eyes that matched the crescent necklace hanging around her neck. Her opposite sat beside her, in a similarly styled black dress with white silk gloves, and a black bowler hat that devoured her chopped ebony locks. A thin black veil stretched across her face but did little to hide her striking silver eyes.

"You're crying." Said the Raven-haired woman as she noticed a glimmering streak of wetness on her sister's cheek.

"I can't help it, Edith. This is so horribly morbid."

The woman named Edith grew rigid in her seat as another tear fell from her sister's eye. She hated seeing her upset, mainly because she always made such a big fuss. And there was no reason to cry, thought Edith. They had been through this so many times it ought to feel like second nature but her sister was always so dramatic. Even if it weren't for her empathetic inclinations, she still would have been soured over the whole ordeal. It was in her nature.

"You wanted to do this. I told you, Clara, three times, this was nothing but a waste of time and tears."

Tilting her head upwards, almost as if she were trying to get a whiff of her own perfume, Clara said, "If we don't do it, no one will. We don't have anyone left."

The reminder of their evident loneliness did nothing to affect Edith. Quite the contrary, in fact. She found herself scowling at the idea of needing anyone apart from her sister. She was brought into the world with the brat attached to her hip, it only seemed fit she would go out that way too. But again, Clara was always different from Edith in that respects. She cared about people, and loved people. Edith knew there was no reason to, not when they would be receiving the same fate that they always did but she let her sister persist on and foolishly do away with her heart. She assumed, in another life, Clara would eventually reach the same conclusion she had. Which was that life on earth was temporary and that included everything that came with it.

"You promised me, Edith. You promised after all of this, we could find peace, are you going to start making empty promises now?"

It was always an empty promise. For peace was something that neither girl would find. Not in life or in death. If only Edith had known the full extent of their fate, she wouldn't have said a word to Clara. The car began to slow as the trees thinned revealing a massive colonial manor, all of the windows were dark like hollowed eyes except for the top window of the west wing. A silhouette of man stood in the faint, golden glow of the room, waiting for them. After a moment of hesitation, the chauffeur stepped out in the pouring rain, his black suit was immediately drenched as he went to open the backseat door. Grabbing hold of one another, Clara and Edith stepped out of the comfy cab. Just as the heels of their shoes hit the pavement, the rain stilled in the sky. The two walked to the front of the manor, in perfect sync. It wasn't until they were standing under the porch awning, did the two girls unlock their hands and the rain resumed. A bronze plagued hung beside the front door, engraved was the name Theodore Goodwin: J. D. Lawyer. As Edith narrowed her eyes the brass doorknob twisted and turned as the locking mechanisms made a series of clicking noises. The door flew open and the sisters entered, knowing they didn't need an invitation.