Chapter 27: Alley Talks

Kaitlyn Delphi barreled through the back exit of the club. She stood in the middle of a darkened alley, trash the littered the ground by her feet and a strange repugnant smell wafted through the air. Her hand cupped her throat, covering the jade pendant that hung limply by the nape of her neck. One by one they emerged from the club, their faces somber and eyes remote, as if there was something each of them had to think about. Two girls stood in the middle of the group, each accompanied by what looked to be their own personal body guard. The first and perhaps scarier of the two, had hair as dark as the night sky and silver eyes of cold, steel. The second was not as frightening in her appearance but the immaculate beauty she possessed was just as intimidating. Her hair was spun from gold and eyes that reflected the dark depths of the endless ocean.

The two hadn't spoken a word in the whole encounter but Kaitlyn had a sneaking suspicion that they were the ones running the show. The amount of power that oozed off of them was crippling to her pride and she found that she had to fight the urge to keep her head bowed while looking at them. She knew that she had never met them before but their faces were familiar.

"We couldn't have done this inside?" Kaitlyn looked at Alix who was casually leaning against the alley wall opposed to hers.

It was no secret in the supernatural community that the Delphi's and the Slade's did not get along. Since the early 20th century the Slade family reigned as coven leaders of New York- they were the second longest reigning family to lead New York. Second to only Kaitlyn's family, the Delphi, who presided their reign over the territory since the signing of the Declaration of Independence. The reign would have continued on if not for the drastic changing of opinions in the supernatural world. In the 1900s the newest Council Members took their parents places as rulers over the supernatural world and began to challenge their parents most basic ideals. One of the ideals, was that the Moon Goddesses did not in fact exist and that it was nothing more than a silly myth. Their viewpoints on religion spread like a wildfire and in the years to follow every statue, painting or relic used commemorate the goddesses was destroyed or locked away.

Those who still believed in the Moon Goddesses were scorned- like Kaitlyn's ancestors who dedicated their lives to ensuring that Moon Goddesses remained where they belonged- in the Spirit World. Kaitlyn didn't believe in the nonsense of her ancestors but she was still a Delphi and inherently despised Alix's family for stealing their power.

"Too many eyes and too many ears," Alix kicked off the wall and gestured to her friends. "What I'm about to tell you is confidential and it starts with introductions."

Crossing her arms of her chest, Kaitlyn swallowed her snippy response and nodded. She didn't necessarily want to meet Alix's friends but she didn't want to anger the young psychic either. She had been a senior when Alix's older brother, Jaxon, was a freshman and barely knew the fiery redhead but her reputation preceded her. There were talks about how she was supposedly friends with the Council's heirs. A shiver traveled down Kaitlyn's spine as she imagined crossing any of their rulers.

"Xavier Drachen," Alix pointed to the dark haired Hercules who stood protectively in front of the girl with silver eyes. His crimson eyes were narrowed into a malevolent glare; Kaitlyn wondered if he ever smiled.

Alix skipped over the two girls in the middle and moved on to the golden-curled boy- he was by far the least intimidating of the three. And if Kaitlyn were to examine him further she would have realized the wisps of fear lingering in his blue eyes. "William Haverstock."

There was a brief pause before Alix spoke again, her green eyes were cold and calculating as she thought of what to say. "Then- my good friend and her twin sister- Twyla and Luna Goodwin. You might already know them, but not by those names."