Chapter 31: Book of Moons

Twyla walked behind Luna as she aimlessly guided them through a series of twisting dark tunnels. They were lost. But don't tell Luna that, Twyla had learned that the hard way. She had tried texting Alix for a little psychic insight but apparently cell phone companies did not work within the belly of the beast. So, she shoved her hands into pockets of black jeans and decided to enjoy the ride. They had yet to see another living soul during their little expedition, including those creepy hooded figures from her memory.

There was one rat they had seen but he too looked to be dead.

Truly, Twyla could think of worst ways to spend her Saturday evenings than milling around the Hamptons version of Haunted Mansion. A normal Saturday was usually spent lying on her bed, blasting the sweet Symphonic melodies of the Gregorian Rants and the occasional Marilyn Manson song for some mortal spice. Those were the days when Miss Jameson cruelly separated Laurel from Twyla and forced her to join her book club. Laurel swore it wasn't the worst way to spend her day, as they always had dainty finger sandwiches to snack on and she was fortunate enough to sit next to Mrs. Scott who told elaborative stories about her younger days. Apparently the old bat had been a former American spy, a long lost Moroccan princess and a Brazilian model. She also went into lengthy details with Laurel about her adventurous love life before old age settled in, but Twyla tuned out at that part.

Every time Laurel was dragged off somewhere with her mother, Twyla couldn't help but think: better you than me. However, in the closed confines of her room, where nobody could see her brief moments of vulnerability, she would curl into a tight ball and try not to cry. Every time the sensation overwhelmed her, she would mock herself. Call herself a baby, pathetic and any other word that could cut through her heart. Of course, only the sensation of loneliness could leave her so destroyed, as it was the one feeling that remained most constant during her childhood.

Sneaking a glance at Luna, Twyla shook her head and bit back a smirk. Maybe snooping through the Delphi mansion wasn't her favorite thing to do, but at least she wasn't alone anymore.

"You know, it'll be pretty pathetic if we end up dying because got lost in the catacombs of this house. I'm pretty sure the Delphi will feel cheated if they spend years searching for us, only to find us lying dead in basement from starvation," Twyla mused monotonously.

"Oh, be quiet. I know where I'm going," Luna snapped back and squared her shoulders.

"Really? So, you do this often- breaking into the mansion and walking through the creepy secret passageways like it's a stroll through the park?"

They turned down at a new tunnel. Twyla had lost count what number this one was. She had another sharp  comment on the tip of her tongue, but Luna abruptly stopped moving and Twyla walked into her shoulder. The two glared at one another before Twyla caught a glimpse of the chamber that lingered beyond Luna and her eyes went wide. Furrowing her brows, Luna briefly wondered what was wrong with her sister before she turned around herself and saw what had captured Twyla's attention.

The second chamber was not at all like the first.

The walls were covered in a thick, twisting ivy and a series of vegetation that grew from a small stream of water droplets from the ceiling. A thin layer of water covered the stone floor, looking almost like the glass display cases that lined the walls. The cases were cluttered with an assortment of glittering, ancient relics. Twyla glanced at Luna only to see that her sister was no longer standing beside her, but running over to the cases. Cursing under breath, Twyla tiptoed through the puddles, carefully keeping the backs of her jeans from getting wet.

"Twyla! Look!" Luna's hands were planted on the glass, her eyes were filled with wonder. She looked like a kid marveling at the animals in the zoo.