Chapter 8: Family Reunion

Silence.

Complete and utter silence settled over the room as Luna stared into the same, cold, silver eyes that haunted her nightmares. She almost couldn't believe what she was seeing. It had been six years since she had last seen her twin, and back then Twyla was a quiet mouse-like child with a biting stare and pinched features. She still retained her sharp features and malevolent stare but she was no longer a mouse. An eerie feeling crept into her bones as they stared at each other. Neither one of them knew what to think or feel. Luna couldn't decipher whether or not she was supposed to be afraid of her sister's daunting appearance or if she was supposed to be angry that she had dared to return. So, she settled for shock.

Twyla recovered much quicker than Luna. She was expecting to see her sister eventually. She hadn't expected to see her so soon but she still entertained the thought that they would be forced to come face to face. After all of those years being separated, Twyla could honestly say she was happy that she didn't have to grow up with Luna in her life. What a disaster that would have been! Her sister was the princess of pep with her sprawling golden locks, baby blue eyes and pastel clothes. Surely, a girl like that had hundreds of friends and a superstar jock as a boyfriend. Twyla's lips curled into a cruel smirk, as she continued stare at her twin. Luna stood in front of her, paralyzed with shock. Twyla decided her sister's pea-sized brain obviously could not handle what was happening.

"Luna. Luna Goodwin," Twyla said in a mocking tone, "What has it been? Six years? Gosh, time surely flies by! How have you been? Good, I hope. And your mom I hope she's in good health."

Luna opened her mouth to say something but her voice was lost in her throat. She vaguely registered that Twyla was mocking her but since she was on the verge of a mental breakdown, she didn't really see that as an important thing to focus on. It was too much! First, the vision, and then whatever had transpired in the principal's office. Oh, she felt sick. Her life felt like it had been teetering on the edge of the cliff, and Twyla had just pushed it into the chasm below.

"Oh my!" Miss Clark whispered. Her shaking hand gravitated to her lips. "Twyla?"

Turning her stare from her sister, Twyla looked at the secretary. The woman had been so confident only minutes ago and suddenly, she looked like a gaping fish. It sure was nice to be known, thought Twyla. If she had known that they were waiting to give her such a warm welcome, she would have visited years ago.

"That would be me!" Twyla had yet to decide whether she wanted to cry or laugh, so she settled for the latter. A half hysterical chuckle escaped her lips. The window shudders swayed and clattered amongst each other. Both Luna and Miss Clark jumped upon hearing the noise.

Twyla looked out the window, "What a windy day."

Furrowing her brows, Luna remembered walking into the office mere minutes before Twyla and there wasn't even a breeze. The air was stagnant. Miss Clark chose to swallow Twyla's lie and scurried back over to the desk. She practically ripped the phone from its chord as she frantically called someone- most likely the girl's mother. Twyla and Luna tuned out Miss Clark's as they turned back to look at each other. The manner of their stare had changed drastically. Whereas Twyla looked like the poster child of peace and serenity, rocking on the back of her heels, Luna had to control herself as the pent up rage of twelve years threatened to pour out. She wanted to scream at Twyla, bash her head against the wall. The overwhelming urge to kill her twin for the way she robbed her of having any childhood, strengthened. And Twyla, though she equally hated Luna, was saving her anger for their mother.

"Girls," Miss Clark said in a quiet voice, "Your mother is ready to see you."

"Great!" Twyla exclaimed. She tried to grab hold of Luna's arm but Luna flinched away and swiftly bounded up the stairs.