Finn.

it wasn't often that finn stayed up in the late hours listening to his attractive neighbor argue on the phone with someone named shara, but he found himself in this situation anyways.

"no, shara," finn heard him say through the thin walls. "you don't understand i'm in california right now. i left you a million messages telling you, i'm in los angeles!"

a long pause. finn wondered if poe or whoever shara was had hung up.

"ma, i'm not having this conversation again with you. it's four in the morning here, i'm not going to stay up any longer to tell you what being homosexual is."

finn froze. guilt crept down his spine as his head spun. poe is a homosexual.

news like this didn't come to finn often, but surprisingly, he wasn't angry; he felt guilty for eavesdropping on such a personal conversation.

he wondered if his anger towards homosexuals was really just his mother's, his mother's rage funneled into finn.

nonetheless, finn decided he was listening in for too long. he stood up out of his bed and walked into the kitchen. finn grabbed the small iron pot from his cupboard and dropped it on his tiled floor, a large crash interrupting poe's conversation.

"ma, i gotta go."

a slam of the phone meant that poe had hung up, and finn could finally go to bed without constantly eavesdropping on his neighbor.

he sank into his uncomfortable twin bed and stared at the ceiling. he was drifting into unconsciousness when there was a firm knock at his door. his heart beat against his chest as he stood out of his bed and walked to the door. through the peephole, a flustered poe dameron stood outside his plastic door.

finn panicked as he unhinged the lock and opened the door. the man stood, tapping his foot on the ground. he was dressed in a tight fitting tank top and grey sweatpants that made finn sweat.

"can i help you?" he asked, stuttering.

"i need to know if you heard anything from my room." he said, on edge.

"i don't know-"

"don't play with me, kid." he said, stepping foreward. "i was on the phone with someone and you were awake, and these are pretty thin walls, dude, so i'd like to know if you heard anything through them. i'm not angry now but i will be in a second if you don't answer me."

finn stared at him for a while before confessing. "you were on the phone with your mother." he said. poe nodded. "and... and you said something about ho-homosexuality."

poe's facial expression didn't change, almost like he froze in time. he opened his mouth to speak, but finn cut him off. "i'm not going to say anything. it's cool with me." he said, contradicting everything he's ever believed in from the day he was born. it felt great.

poe nodded. "what's your name?"

"finn."

"you're a good man, finn."